ATLANTIC NUX delay & reverb

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roy McKinney

ATLANTIC NUX delay & reverb

Post by Roy McKinney »

Turned my Fender twin reverb amp on, turned the NUX on and "boom"....loud volume crash and silence. Unplug everything, turned amp back on and works fine. Pluged the NUX back in and silence.....no work.

Looks to be a sealed unit and no access to the inside. Must be a "throw AWAY" unit. javascript:emoticon(':x')
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Roy,
On mine, the screws to open it up are located under the little stick-on rubber feet. Are you sure the 9VDC power supply is good? Do either the delay or reverb LEDs come on when you push the switch?
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

Yes, both lights will come on. 9v supply is good.
Thank you, the screws are there.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I have had a Nux Atlantic 'fail' a few times -- no dramatic crash but just a quiet....nothing. Unplugging and re-booting it has solved it each time. Your situation does sound different though.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

I expect you've already checked it, but maybe try a new cord between the Nux and the amp. Also, I seem to recall having a problem when I accidently plugged a mono cord into the stereo output. Wouldn't explain the "crash" though.
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

What ever it was or is, the darn thing is working now. I had already checked the cables for problems. Thanks everyone for the responses, it was much appreciated.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Good to hear. I've never had a failure on stage. If I'm remembering right, it has always been when powering up the pedal board. I'm guessing that it is sensitive to...some sort of power glitch. The good news is that it seems to protect itself by shutting down. After the first time when I thought it had become a doorstop but then was fine, now I just unplug it and then it fires right back up, no problem.
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

Thanks John, I don't use a pedal board. Just the amp and the nux. I turn amp on first (standby) they power up the nux.
Ray DeVoe

NUX Atlantic pedal

Post by Ray DeVoe »

Roy / all.

I knew this would eventually surface as a problem. I own 3 NUX Atlantic units and had the same issues with all three.

My setups are all simple as I dont use a pedal board, just the NUX unit. I also have experienced the noise that was reported. Mine just all of a sudden went into a "roar" and I had to unplug the signal cord.
------------------------------------------------
The quick steps to take to get the unit back on line is to unplug the signal cord from the front of the amp, and then unplug the power supply on the front of the NUX unit.

Then replug the power supply back into the NUX and then the signal cord into the amp. Then play something to see if its working. Once verified that its working, push the stomp buttons to verify that its also working in the effects on position.

This seems to work every time. I verify mine is working before ever starting to play.
-----------------------------------------------

AS a note to all, I ran across this topic on a pedal forum. A couple of the electronic geeks reportedly dug into the NUX subject and followed power draws and other issues. The only "fix" for the issue that they found was to update the software by way of downloading the new drivers and software and installing those in the pedal. Those updates are right on the NUX site. I have not tried that step yet but it seems to be the only path forward.
If some one does the download, keep us in the loop.

Just a little add on:
The Nux unit seems to work with less start up failure if you do not plug the signal cord into the amp until after powering on the Nux Atlantic.

Thanks
Ray DeVoe
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
Ron Thompson

Atlantic nux

Post by Ron Thompson »

My Nux Atlantic is experiencing similar problems. It plays through amp when first connected, but if push the buttons, one at a time or both, it goes silent. Approximately 30 seconds later it makes a loud rushing noise. I'm using power supply I bought with it, changed cables and tried above suggestions but nothing worked. The warranty's expired so trash can may be next step
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

I haven't been able to upload the software change yet. Can't get the final step to upload. It might be because of the browser I am using "Fox". So far mine has started working again. I don't use a pedal board either...NOX into my amp, no other gadgets attached.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

My thanks to Ray for the software/firmware update info. I did this successfully right after you posted about it. Thing is, my issues are few & far between. It will be pretty nearly impossible to assess whether the fix is effective. The unit works fine after the update -- always my first fear re: 'I should have just left it alone!'
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had a NUX Atlantic. Never had this problem but I had problems with the jacks that they seemed to bind with some plugs both Switchcraft, Neutrik and Chinese. Being an ex amp tech I would suspect jack trouble at some future point.

I sold the Atlantic and then had second thoughts and was going to buy another but found a (I believe US made) new Keeley Caverns Reverb/Delay for the same price on Reverb. The jacks do not "bind" like the Atlantic.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit