Pedal board with power supply.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Strojan

Pedal board with power supply.

Post by Paul Strojan »

I am looking for a little pedal board that I can mount a couple of pedals on that has its own power supply and perhaps may be able to put a little 5 watt amp on it for taking to places.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

This should be in "Wanted to buy".
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Paul - if you're looking for ideas, this is the right place. If you're looking for someone to sell you something, Wanted to Buy is the right place.

For just a few (up to 5, or 6 if they're small) pedals, I use an On Stage GPB2000 - https://on-stage.com/products/view/12943. These used to be in the $35-40 price range, but are now about $65. Of course, there are a pile of different pedalboard brands. I personally prefer the GPB2000 to the smaller 'big name brand' pedal boards, I've tried a bunch of different ones. I have a few of them for different situations - one for steel, one for more electric guitar application, one for acoustic things, and so on. I've been using these for several years - the soft case is pretty tough and everything has held up well through lots of gigs and rehearsals. And it is very compact.

Not exactly sure what you have in mind for a 5 watt amp. If you're thinking about something like a 5-watt Champ or something like that with a speaker, I can't think of a pedalboard solution. But I can mount 4-5 pedals plus my standard-pedal-sized 45-watt Quilter MicroBlock on the GPB2000. I use a One Spot with daisy-chain for the pedals (as long as the pedals are not the kind that don't play nicely on a daisy chain), and the MicroBlock has its own (different voltage/current) power supply. I think one could probably put 2-3 pedals and one of the 25-watt Quilter SuperBlocks or InterBlocks on it, or perhaps a Milkman "The Amp". For one of the larger heads, you might prefer something like the larger GPB3000 for around $100 if you need more room. Or one of the larger boards by Pedaltrain, or whatever brand floats your boat.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Just to piggyback on to Dave's post......

The power supply......If you don't want the 1 Spot floating around loose, what to do?

You might be able to mount an AC outlet strip underneath the pedal board.
You could then power the amp, or other non-standard wall warts, or AC powered effects or.......
But then you might have another problem.

The orientation of the 1 Spot "blades" and/or the inlets on the AC strip might pose a problem.
It can be a tight fit under some of these pedal boards.
Which after all of this rambling leads me to a solution.

Not all AC outlet strips have their inlets oriented the same direction.
I found some at Home Depot that are rotated 90 degrees from the one that I had.
Problem solved.

I recently put together a pedal board for a friend of mine and ended up using a 1 Spot.
This was one of the problems that I ran into.
Home Depot to the rescue.

And if you live near a major city, don't overlook Craigslist as a source for boards, supplies, cables, effects, etc etc etc.
Paul Strojan

Post by Paul Strojan »

Thanks, I’m looking for Ideas. I have a little 9 volt orange crush mini amp that takes a nine volt power supply. What I would like to do is set up something that I could busk with. I am thinking I could mount the amp, a volume pedal and maybe a couple of effects pedals on and have a battery that will power everything.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Paul Strojan wrote:Thanks, I’m looking for Ideas. I have a little 9 volt orange crush mini amp that takes a nine volt power supply. What I would like to do is set up something that I could busk with. I am thinking I could mount the amp, a volume pedal and maybe a couple of effects pedals on and have a battery that will power everything.
Sounds like you're wanting some sort of self-contained power supply that doesn't have to plug into the wall. For busking, I think I'd consider buying something like one of the Boss battery operated amps that has built in delay and just use a couple of old-school 9V battery operated pedals for any other effects I need. Check out this page where someone did put together a portable 9V supply built from a bank of AA batteries.

https://mike-bland.com/2013/01/11/recha ... upply.html
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... edal-board

There's this thing. Runs on 9v DC power or 6 D cell batteries.
Out of production but can be found used online such as ebay, guitarcenter, reverb.

The downside is that the 8 outlets for stomp box power are all 1/8 male and would need adapters to use with today's center negative plugs. These were supposed to come with the units when new, but they have been lost with a lot of the used ones. They are available from places like Amazon though.

This has a ton of features though as can be seen in the link above. Line out, aux in, cable tester, headphone jack, ext speaker jack with switch, etc. with a 6 in. Eminence speaker included.

I built one of these from a kit. I have used it with elec. guitar and amplified dobro in a rehearsal sized building with good results. I was surprised by the volume from just a 5W amp. If you put a little boost or preamp pedal on your board it will kick it up a notch too.

Makes a nice little headphone amp too.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Somehow I managed to squeeze a 3 prong outlet, 24v (for Superblock) and the Otraki in this one. I only plan on unsung 4 or 5 pedals at a time, but I have lots of options for power!

Not sure how much you tinker, but I plan on building a small pedalboard amp to replace the Superblock and free up a little space. Pretty easy to do with a cheap class D board, see the last link in my thread. You get tons of power from these tiny little guys, and super efficient for running off of a battery supply. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=390963 Of course you can find a Microblock for about $100 or so.