Sho-Bud Brass Barrels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Readling

Sho-Bud Brass Barrels

Post by Greg Readling »

Does anyone know where to find or how to reliably fix a brass barrel with spring from a ‘73 Pro I era (brass barrel behind 2 hole puller)? I looked at Michael Yahl’s site and it shows that part as sold out. On one of mine, the spring protrusion is a little short and does not reliably index on the puller—and will spin instead of screw and unscrew the brass barrel. I’m ok trying to fix what I have if it’s doable.

Thanks!
Mark Perrodin

brass barrel

Post by Mark Perrodin »

disassemble the barrel tuner and then carefully sand or file the face of the tuner. you will effectively be making the spring extend further when you reassemble the barrel. there is enough meat on the part to accommodate this modification. you can also chuck the part in a drill which will help you keep it cylindrical. it’ll help if you know how much you need the spring to stick out so eyeball another barrel tuner. you might have to take a couple passes at it to get what you want. good luck.
Allen Merrell

Post by Allen Merrell »

What Mike said is true, I have done this before. The face side is around .130 thick so their is plenty to work with. Also the face side of the rack can be flattened with file some this will help the spring engage better since the edges are rounded some. You can also wind a spring on a .216 diameter rod.
72 ShoBud 6153 D10, Encore, Nashville 112, Boss Katana, Spark 40, Quilter TT12, GT001, ProFex II,Jackson Pitch changer (Love this bender)
Greg Readling

Post by Greg Readling »

Thanks guys. This is great info.

Greg
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

you might be able to wind a new spring from an old guitar string the same gauge as the original spring. stick the string wire in the hole and wrap it around the threads until you have enough spring length.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

A good thing to do also is clean the threads real good with an eye make up brush and solvent of your choice. Let dry and don't lubricate or it will be going out of adjustment all the time.
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Wayne Brown

steel guitar parts

Post by Wayne Brown »

how many do you need
thanks
wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Wayne -- did you see my inquiry in your thread here (about a different Bud part)?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=390815
Wayne Brown

steel guitar parts

Post by Wayne Brown »

Sent you a PM Jon..
Greg I think I have around 89 of those barrels but i'll confirm tomorrow morning
thanks
wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Greg Readling

Barrels

Post by Greg Readling »

Wayne, I would love to buy a couple off you if you’d sell.

Thanks!