Spring loaded tilt back stand.....

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Kowalik

Spring loaded tilt back stand.....

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Does anyone know where I could purchase a spring loaded tilt back similar to what Evans used to put on some of their amps? I've searched the web with no luck so far.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

If it's a spring loaded handle that you're looking for (I believe that's what they used), check Reliable Hardware under the "handles" section.
https://www.reliablehardware.com/surfac ... rgrip.aspx
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

https://www.parts-express.com/Surface-M ... quantity=1

Part-express has them too. I bought a pair of these for my kickback cabinets. Work good.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Thanks to both of you!
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Wow! How did you two get that from' spring loaded tilt back stand'?
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Please excuse me for not knowing how describe it correctly.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

A fellow Forumite sent me one of those a few years ago.
He performed surgery on it so the handle would swing out a little bit further (farther?), making it more stable.

~Lee
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Lee, further or farther. Both are perfectly good English. No wonder the dictionary's so fat.

Spring-loaded anything makes me nervous. How far will the amp travel if this device malfunctions?
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

If the spring breaks, the worst would be the handle dangling when you carry it.
Jerry Overstreet

FWIW, here's a shot of one in use on an Evan's cab. You pull it out toward the front and sit the amp down on it. The weight of the amp holds it in place. The spring pulls it back flat when you lift the amp.

If the spring breaks, it will just flop around...nothing to hold it out/up/whatever.

Either way, mounted as a carry handle or a tilt back device, you can still use it, it just won't go back flush when released.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Aaah! Now I get what you're talking about. Cool idea. Mike, I apologise. You described it perfectly. The angle probably wouldn't be enough for the steel player to hear himself though. I recently put my amp up on an amp stand and for the first time ever, I can hear myself. BTW, I feel it made me play better. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Jerry Overstreet

It works just fine. It does several things....it's about 3 inches, enough tilt to let you hear the speaker better. You might be surprised how much it helps there. It angles the cabinet about right so that it gets in the vocal mics....a plus if you're not mic'ed to the house.

It also keeps the amp/cab in contact with the floor which equates to more volume and low end. Whether that works for a player depends on one's own personal bent.

It's built in so you don't have another piece to tote like an amp stand and costs a fraction of a mic stand.
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

Great idea but . . . I bought the Reliable Hardware model for my Marsh Clifton (Deluxe Reverb). Even though I had the bracket as far forward as I could, the center of gravity wasn't right. Tha amp tips backward and won't stay upright. I will try it on my Princeton, maybe that will work better.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Carey, you need to design an outrigger that sticks out,towards you, from the top of your amp with a drink holder on the end. :D