New gig

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

New gig

Post by Johnny Cox »

I'll be the new steel guitar player for Billy Mata and The Texas Tradition starting in mid June. Billy's long-time bass player, David Miller has decided to retire due to health issues. Billy's steel player, Phillip Telford is moving to upright bass and I will try to fill his and Roger Edgington's shoes. That is not going to be an easy task. Come see us at one of Billy's dances soon.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

It sounds like a good fit for you, John. It's a tight band and you'll enjoy it. Glad to hear it!

I'm not glad to hear about David Miller's health issues. He's a longtime friend.
Last edited by Herb Steiner on 17 May 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Sounds like a dream gig. Congrats.You're the perfect fit for sure.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Great band and your kind of music. You'll be great. Congratulations!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Mata’s got a really great voice for Country and Western-Swing music, but his version of “Magic Moments” is still one of my favorites! D

§
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Congratulations Johnny ! You will do an awesome job!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

A great fit for some top level Western Swing. Johnny congratulations on a exciting opportunity.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Herb Steiner wrote:It sounds like a good fit for you, John. It's a tight band and you'll enjoy it. Glad to hear it!

I'm not glad to hear about David Miller's health issues. He's a longtime friend.
Thanks Herb. I'm not happy about the circumstances in which this became available either. David is a prince of a man and great musician. Remind me to tell you a story about a kindness David did for me a few years back.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Congrats on the new gig!

Billy Mata was inducted into the Western Swing Society's Hall of Fame with me, way back in 2008. And Roger and I immediately became good friends. Great band, and great folks!

So glad the band is marching on as time goes by.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Congratulations Johnny, that sounds like a good fit for you and a good opportunity to dig into the D13 tuning you have developed. Keep on pushin' the envelope!
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Hi Johnny,

Will you be playing with Billy in Austin at the Broken Spoke this weekend (Friday, Sept 15?)? I'll be in town and would love to see and hear ya.

I rarely missed a Monday night at the Station Inn in the early days of the Timejumpers!
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I've had the privilege of hearing Johnny twice within the past month. The most recent was with Billy Mata in San Angelo, Texas, on Saturday, September 9. What a player!