G6 Tuning: So many tasty flavours!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Allan Revich

G6 Tuning: So many tasty flavours!

Post by Allan Revich »

Perhaps because one can tune as low as D2 on string 6 and as high as G4 on string 1 there are a myriad of playable tuning possibilities. Moving beyond six strings opens up still more possibilities.

I believe that the most common versions are;
GBEGBD
EBDGBD

But these all work too;
EGBGBD
EGDGBD
GDEGBD
DGEGBD
GBDEGB

And a couple more that might also work…
GBDGBE
DGDGBE

My current favourite is eGDGBD

On seven strings my current favourite is eGBDGBD

Anyone else using unusual versions of G6 tuning?
Last edited by Allan Revich on 1 Jun 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Lee Gillespie

G6th

Post by Lee Gillespie »

I;ve been playing G6 on my lap now for almost 15 years. The reason I went to G6 was I took up the Dobro which is tuned to G. At the time I tuned my Lap to C6. It got convusing when swapping between instuments on shows... Soooo... I decided to tune my Lap to G6 and never looked back. I think the G6 tuning has a certain mellow sound verses the C6 tuning. Lee
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I currently have different instruments set up in G6, A6, Bb6, C6, & D6 (1-3-5-6-1-3 & 1-3-5-6-1-3-5).

Tried E6 (ala Don Helms), but didn't like the whininess of the high G#.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I was experimenting with putting a dobro tuning on the middle neck of my Stringmaster. I knew I wanted an E in the middle but it got in the way of the core dobro tuning which I wanted to maintain. So I pulled it out of the middle and moved it down to the 8th string position but it's still in the same octave it would be as string 4. Then I put a low C as the 7th string.
So lo to high: ECGBDGBD The re-intrant E and low C makes it a G11 you could say. The addition of the G and low C gives you a G6 chord, C triad, a Cmaj7 chord and an Eminor chord in open position. There's other handy intervals too plus all your straight up dobro stuff. It really sounds great on a Stringmaster and is great for cowboy stuff and is very bluesy for pre-pedal Mooney early Bakersfield bluesy styles. I loaned it to Cindy Cashdollar when she flew to LA for a session and didn't want to fly her guitar. She plays a lot of dobro so she took right to it and said it fit right in on the Americana stuff she was called to play.
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

I don’t use the low root with a band so BDEGBD.
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Allan Revich wrote: I believe that the most common versions are;
GBEGBD
EBDGBD

But these all work too;
EGBGBD
EGDGBD
GDEGBD
DGEGBD
GBDEGB

And a couple more that might also work…
GBDGBE
DGDGBE

My current favourite is DGEGBD
Oddly, none of those were the 6th tuning I was taught many years ago!
Robert Murphy wrote:I don’t use the low root with a band so BDEGBD.
This is the tuning I learned, it's the common A6 transposed down.

It's also an easy retune to E7 and E13:

BDEG#BE and BDEG#C#E
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Robert Murphy wrote:I don’t use the low root with a band so BDEGBD.
David M Brown wrote:…This is the tuning I learned, it’s the common A6 transposed down.
I should have included the BDEGBD tuning in my initial post. It’s fairly common, and is essentially the common 7string G6 without the low root.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
John Chadwick

Post by John Chadwick »

Can anyone on this thread recommend tabs for G6 or some tips on to think about the tuning if we know a little C6?
I have been playing for 3 years. I own one six-string lap steel, and I change out the strings every month or so because I am switching tunings, usually moving from GBDGBD to C6.
The dobro tunings are easier for me because of my experience as guitar player. But I sure love learning C6 and being able to get the classic honky tonk sound.
I am tired of changing strings and probably going to buy a second lap steel. But until then it would be nice to be able to move from GBDGBD to GBEGBD or EBDGBD.
I learned some c6 basics from Lessons With Troy, and I know enough to feel comfortable noodling around or playing through some Hank Williams songs. But when I try the GBEGBD, I am lost. Same with the Open D alternative DADF#BD.
Hopes this make sense. Thank you.
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

John Chadwick wrote:Can anyone on this thread recommend tabs for G6 or some tips on to think about the tuning if we know a little C6?
The BDEGBD tuning may be better for you

You can use A6 TAB, since it's the same pattern up a whole step.

Plus the top 3 strings still match your Dobro G tuning.
John Chadwick

Post by John Chadwick »

David M Brown wrote:
John Chadwick wrote:Can anyone on this thread recommend tabs for G6 or some tips on to think about the tuning if we know a little C6?

Thank you David. I have heard good things about that tuning. But what would the gauges be on the two low (thickest) strings? I assume I could not use the two I have now. I am using a 56-13 set that's sold as an E major set but IMHO works great for GBDGBD on my Gretsch electromatic. Thanks again!
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

John Chadwick wrote:
David M Brown wrote:

Thank you David. I have heard good things about that tuning. But what would the gauges be on the two low (thickest) strings? I assume I could not use the two I have now. I am using a 56-13 set that's sold as an E major set but IMHO works great for GBDGBD on my Gretsch electromatic. Thanks again!
John, 56-13 will not work for Dave’s suggestion, but a C6 set will.
If you’d rather stick to 56-13s for G based tunings, you might look at
EBDGBD
EGDGBD
or take another try on
GBEGBD
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

I have been playing for 3 years. I own one six-string lap steel, and I change out the strings every month or so because I am switching tunings, usually moving from GBDGBD to C6.
The dobro tunings are easier for me because of my experience as guitar player. But I sure love learning C6 and being able to get the classic honky tonk sound.
I am tired of changing strings and probably going to buy a second lap steel. But until then it would be nice to be able to move from GBDGBD to GBEGBD or EBDGBD.
I learned some c6 basics from Lessons With Troy, and I know enough to feel comfortable noodling around or playing through some Hank Williams songs. But when I try the GBEGBD, I am lost. Same with the Open D alternative DADF#BD.
Hopes this make sense. Thank you.
https://gregboothdobro.com/videos-and-tablature I just found this. Should keep anyone busy for a while! Greg is such a fine musician, he seems to play mostly in EBDGBD I believe.
I don't know why, but it seems I will do anything to avoid playing in C6. Lately I am playing Open F and F6 ,7 string C(D)FACFAC. I just keep the bottom string light enough to tune between the 5th and the 6th, C to D in F. It is a little light when tuned down C, but still sounds fine.
Last edited by Tim Toberer on 21 May 2023 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Allan Revich wrote:...
Thank you David. I have heard good things about that tuning. But what would the gauges be on the two low (thickest) strings?.
John, 56-13 will not work for Dave’s suggestion, but a C6 set will.
.[/quote]

Yeas, a C6 set would work - and you can retune to C6 if needed.