Sax

Post here if you're looking for something special
Jerry Overstreet

Sax

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Greenhorn still sorta looking for an affordable sax. Everybody tells me that the alto is the easiest to play. I'm interested in using it for stuff like AWB, TOP funk music to add to our little jam group. Added to a few other instruments that I can barely play 🤩

I would like to find an affordable quality used one. Since I know nothing about the instrument, I want something that I'm not going to have to upgrade.

The entry level instruments I find online seem to have poor quality parts, such as mouthpiece, ligature, reeds, poor keys etc. and hard to push air.

I realize a good one might be more bucks than I can afford, but I thought I would throw this out to the membership here to the folks I can trust to help just in case you have or might know of something.

Please be kind in lieu of my ignorance because I want to avoid an expensive mistake making the wrong choice.

Thanks.
Danny Sherbon

Sax

Post by Danny Sherbon »

Jerry about 100 years ago they made a C Melody sax which is in the key if C. China is me making some reasonable priced C Melody saxes again. I use one and it plays very well and tuning isn’t a big problem.
Alto saxes are in the key of Eb so you have to add 3 sharps to whatever the band is playing. Example- So if the band is playing in the key of A which has 3 sharps, you will have to play 6 sharps. Tenor is almost as bad because you have to add 2 sharps to the key the band is playing in.
Consider the C Melody which are available on EBay
If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have a masters degree in saxophone
Dan
MSA Millennium D10, Justice SD 10 Patriot, Rittenberry Prestige,
Tonic,Quilter Mach 3, Nashville 112, Telonics and Hilton Pedal, MPX-1, Pro-Fex
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Thanks for you input Danny. I really appreciate the offer of help.

So, are the folks correct that the alto is easier to play than a tenor?....or is it just different?

I'll look into the C Melody axe. Thanks again.

BTW, you may not remember but I bought a Boss SE70 from you some years ago. I'm still using it...liked it so well I bought another one.

There are some synth horn patches in there that are not too bad, but of course they are limited particularly on fast passages.
Danny Sherbon

Alto vs Tenor

Post by Danny Sherbon »

The alto takes a firmer embouchure. Tenor less firm. C Melody is in the middle. The C Melody sound is between a tenor and alto. All the fingerings are the same. The sound of a tenor or C Melody lends itself better to country and rock.
MSA Millennium D10, Justice SD 10 Patriot, Rittenberry Prestige,
Tonic,Quilter Mach 3, Nashville 112, Telonics and Hilton Pedal, MPX-1, Pro-Fex