Changing Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Ball

Changing Strings

Post by Larry Ball »

Well I think I joined that “Club” of @#&$$@$ new words when changing strings with pins on the changer. I have read all the archives for string changes and found one technique that worked great. That one was the eraser holding the ball on the pin of the changer. However newer changers may be different as mine is so I had to trim down the eraser so that it fit to hold the ball while attaching the string to the key head. This was my first attempt at changing strings with this type of pin on the finger. However with some lighting adjustments to help me see the pin clearly things started to move quickly. I know how to attach the string to the key and with a drill doing the winding .. Shazam…

My other Steels have groves on the finger for the ball to slid into.

I guess this is just something else that keeps things interesting with this amazing instrument.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Yeah, those pins are hard to deal with. Glad you got it handled, Larry.

I take the paper envelope from the string, fold it up into a little square and cram that in the slot at the back of the changer. Works surprisingly well.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

One leg of a wooden clothespin always worked for me.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Lots of guys recommend a piano tuning mute. Appear to be about the right taper. You get a few of these for about $10 or less at amazon, ebay etc. I'll probably pick up one one of these days. Might work better than the pencil eraser I use. I play so little I hardly ever break or change strings anymore.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 16 May 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

With so many different designs of changer housings, Pins and Slots for strings. Seems you have to chose a way with each guitar to hold the string ball in or on its anchor point.

I played a guitar for several years I built, It had pins in the fingers. I was in the kitchen and saw a rubber spatula with a broken handle. White rubber from about 1/16" to 3/8" taper. Cut about a 1/2' strip out of the middle of it, Worked great for a long time.

I went to MSA's with slots in the fingers. With Key Heads I had no problem, Hook ball in slot measure and cut. If it slid out of the slot just hook it back in the slot, Hold it snug, Insert string in hole on key, Place power screwdriver on key wind the string.

Went to GFI S12, With slots and keys no problem.
Then I went to a GFI S12 Keyless. With a screw holding the end of the string in the tuning lever. Stretching and wrapping the string around the screw was touchy. Here is what I use with the GFI Keyless

The little brass cylinder with guitar string wrap and hooked to parachute cord, Bar case works great. The brass cylinder follows the string ball in the slot and weight of bar and case, Holds the string solid in the slot while tightening the string and locking the screw.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

A little rectangular pencil eraser works for me on Emmons.

Somewhat off subject, after 50 years of changing sttings I just learned a new-to-me string changing tip. That is, put the ball end’s burr facing out from the finger. Don’t have it laying directly against the finger. Have it facing out before you tighten the string to pitch.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had 2 with pins, an Emmons and a Franklin. I now have a GFI with slot in fingers. Even with Bobby's ball holding gadget its still. for me. easier and quicker with the pin type.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Mike Polansky

Post by Mike Polansky »

I just lightly jab the pointy end of a Bic mechanical pencil in there. Works fine. I don't know why you'd need anything else.
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

I use a small piece of soft rubber hose, shoved in horizontally.