Acoustic C6 Strings

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Viterito

Acoustic C6 Strings

Post by John Viterito »

Any thoughts on strings/gauges for acoustic C6 on my new carbon fiber Weissenborn?
Emerald Solace acoustic laps and Rukavina steels. Can't play, but I try!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I use a standard set of Dobro strings and tune down to G6th - the identical intervals to C6th.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 15 May 2023 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

I have a National which I tune to a high A6 with a C# on the 6th string and an E on the 1st. So pretty close to C6! I will quickly add that I used to string the guitar for open A and then tune as required to A6 (4th string goes up from E to F#). Unfortunately I was breaking the 4th string far too often regardless of the gauge used; hence, I just string for this higher tuning now.

I use Daddario EFT / flat tops plus two strings purchased separately. I've not found the perfect combination yet for my current tuning because, although the flat tops are almost noiseless, the extra wound strings are not!

Andy's suggestion should be considered. Acoustics need volume and the lighter the gauge, the lower the volume. I am using my current tuning simply because I am familiar with A6 and B11 and this tuning supports both but tonally it's not great. I only use the National for acoustic meet ups. Anything else I go electric.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Andy Volk wrote:I use a standard set of Dobro strings and tune down to G6th - the identical intervals to C6th.
GBDEGB?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Yes.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com