PSG recommendation needed

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Hello forum mates,
nearly 40 years back, I bought a new Bud Super Pro which I still like very much.
- Smooth playing and good sound!

Currently in my mind is - how about a new one.

What is your opinion and recommendation which brand I should prefer?
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

I got a new Mullen Royal Precision because I wanted to wear out my own guitar, rather than get one already worn. It has been fantastic all around. Very well built, fast and smooth, and easy to modify copedent. I did change from single coil to Lawrence 705, but even that is super easy due to the quick change pickup connector. It's really nice to have a company that is still in business, and very easy to reach on phone. They're really helpful and responsive.
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

I 2nd Bryce's comments on Mullen and can't recommend buying new from them highly enough. Got my SD12 G2 a few years ago and it does everything I ask it to, is easy to change copedents to try different things, stays in tune like a rock and is a dream to play. I did swap out the stock pickup for an L712 because I like humbuckers. Also I like a very light touch on the pedals and it was easy to adjust. I've added a vertical left knee and a couple half stop mechanisms both bought directly from Mullen.

Mike and the team out there are a great resource, you can't go wrong with a Mullen ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I'd seriously consider the new Emmons, push/pull wraparound built to Buddy's exact specifications per 1965. the tone is unmatched, as is the build quality and expertise of one Kelcey O'Neil.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Thanks for the reply so far,
Question to Bryce and Dennis:
what's wrong with standard pickup in the Mullen, why did you replace it ? I can't judge, a comparison in sound is necessary.

@Scott: any advantage Emmons -> Mullen ?
Dennis Montgomery

Detlef Webert wrote:Thanks for the reply so far,
Question to Bryce and Dennis:
what's wrong with standard pickup in the Mullen, why did you replace it ? I can't judge, a comparison in sound is necessary.

@Scott: any advantage Emmons -> Mullen ?
Nothing wrong with the stock Mullen pickup and if you like single coils it does a fine job. I've always been a humbucker guy and like the thicker sound better. When I installed the L712 I wired in a coil split switch so I can have both worlds. If the stock Mullen pickup was a humbucker I most likely would have thrown in a coil split and been totally happy with that ;-)
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

There are several current good builds of pedal steels out there, however another vote for Mullen guitars here. CNC work done at the factory, knowledgeable folks in all departments. Reasonable build times. Just fabulous playing and sounding instruments. I admit to being partial.

I love Mullen's single coil pickups. I wouldn't change them out for anything that I've tried. They just complete the whole Mullen package IMO.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Mullen is getting a lot of love in this post, as well they should. I've been a Mullen player for a long time. Tone, build quality, playability, customer service, they have it all. Mine are like my favorite pair of old shoes, they just feel right! I'm a fan of their single coil pickups. I recently played an extended gig in a venue that had terrible noise problems, and a friend loaned me a 705 to help manage the hum. It sounded good and eliminated the hum, but after that gig was over, the single coil went back in.
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

so far, I see big words for Mullen and Emmons.
What about the other brands with names?
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Brand-spankin' new from the factory pedal steel guitar? Almost beyond my comprehension -- and definitely beyond my pocketbook up until now, since receiving a modest inheritance. So I've been considering the proposition too, Mr. Webert. I've narrowed my choices to either a new steel, or a new Ric 12-string, which I've never had, and have always wanted. Dunno when (or even if) I'll pull the trigger...

If I did not already have three excellent push/pulls from circa 1973, I would consider a new ReSound'65. Especially if I lived in the east. But I do have three nice old Emmons guitars, and I don't live in the east, so...

Since I relocated to Colo in 2016, nowadays I would most likely drive up to Flagler and order a spiffy new Mullen. Before that, when Minnie was my domicile, I would have moseyed on up to Oak Grove, and ordered a beauteous new Williams.

All of the new guitars being built and sold today are excellent. Doubt you could hardly go wrong with any of 'em. Good luck in your quest!
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Another vote for Mullen, (I have a G2) I like the single coil pickup, also really like the light touch and playability, the pedals play so easy with no stiffness. Cosmetically I like the polished chrome end plates versus alum. Easy to get parts and would not hesitate to buy again!

Sorry to go on & on but it's a Great Instrument!
Mullen G2, Hilton VP, Fender Tone Master Delux Reverb, Keeley Caverns V2 Delay & Reverb
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

I have a MSA which I absolutely love, and a Williams which I absolutely love! Both are top notch and sound fantastic! Either would get my vote!
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Gary Watkins

Post by Gary Watkins »

If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Most newly manufactured steels are quality instruments. All of those mentioned above certainly are in that category. I have more than one steel, bought new, that I love. They are all great, but they all play and feel different. I wouldn't buy a new steel based solely upon anyone's recommendation. I've sat behind a couple of new, quality steels that just didn't fit or feel right. For me, it is extremely risky to spend as much money as a new steel costs without playing it first. I realize that is very difficult. The best way to decide is to attend a steel guitar show where several manufacturers are present, or to have the financial resources and flexibility to travel extensively. I notice that you are located in Europe, which likely makes it even more difficult, since most new steels are manufactured in the U.S.

I don't mean to be a killjoy or negative in any way. You are probably aware of everything I stated above. Please understand I have the best of intentions. I just thought it important that somebody mention this, just in case. Also, I know several players who have experienced buyer's remorse. I certainly wish you the best of success with your search. (Taking a deep breath...Clicking "Submit")
Last edited by Jim Cooley on 13 May 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detlef Webert

Post by Detlef Webert »

Thanks to all for all your inputs!
..and the wise words of Jim- you're right, nobody wants to buy a pic in a poke.
Will be quite difficult over here in Europe to sit behind the different brands as there are only a few player around.
Perhaps I get in touch with the different companies and ask whether they have a dealer somewhere here around.
Dennis Montgomery

When I got back into pedal steel around 2016 there were no dealers within 800 miles of me so I had to buy sight unseen. First time I got lucky and got a Fender 400 which I still play. Then when I wanted to move up to a modern 10 or 12 string PSG I bought used and got stuck with 2 problem child boat anchors I couldn't salvage/repair - and resold at a big loss. After that, I decided I was buying brand new from a builder, did a ton of research and chose Mullen...all's well that ends well ;-)

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Of course Jim. One size does not fit all. I was just stating my recommendation based on playing over a dozen different guitars.

I absolutely agree that we all have different requirements, likes and dislikes...and that's the way it should be.

I have to also state that I don't think there's any way to know how well a guitar is going to work for you until you've have some time in the seat, maybe stage with it.

It takes a little time to evaluate the fit, the playability and the sound of a pedal steel. Some things you might feel right off, others may not present themselves until you have played it for a while....at least that's been my experience.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 May 2023 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Of all the guitars I have, I play the Mullen (G2 and PRP). Great people, great product!
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Check on the wait times on new steels also. Most are backed up pretty far these days. If you are not in a hurry I would look at the new Emmons steels and along with the others mentioned (all solid great steels). Also Sho Pro, Jackson and Justice.
Bob
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

I would also look at Schild and WBS. Both are brands that you wouldn't have to pay import taxes on! Schild is made in Switzerland, WBS in Germany. They both have an excellent reputation.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

If you like your SuperPro it's okay to keep it and save your money, it's a slippery slope...
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Don’t forget a JUSTICE guitar. Great sustain and quality.

https://youtu.be/ixNou6kffxg
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I can't think of a single bad brand modern pedal steel. I own several various makes including a Mullen D10 8x4. I can't fault any of them. I suggest trying several different brands and decide what suits your tastes.
Philipp Friedrich

Post by Philipp Friedrich »

pm sent