Tom Brumley on C6

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

scott murray

Tom Brumley on C6

Post by scott murray »

Tom plays some great C6 with Wanda Jackson on this old Ranch Show clip from '68: https://youtu.be/jAissxoYuzs

I don't remember hearing him play any C6, are there more examples out there?
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
steinar

Tom B. on C6

Post by steinar »

Yes, I`ve seen other clips from Buck`s Ranch Shows where Tom also plays C6, and with more licks and even solos. That boy knew his way around the C6 neck!
He also recorded the instrumental Country Rag with the Buckaroos using C6, as well as doing half of Steel Guitar Rag on his TomCattin`album on the C6 neck.
Steinar Schrøder
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

One time at the St Louis steel convention Brumley played Jerry Byrd's arrangement of 'Dance of the Goldenrod' on a Ricky Panda 6 string C6. There's a lot of tricky bar wrangling in there but he nailed it.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Michael Johnstone wrote:One time at the St Louis steel convention Brumley played Jerry Byrd's arrangement of 'Dance of the Goldenrod' on a Ricky Panda 6 string C6. There's a lot of tricky bar wrangling in there but he nailed it.
Tom Brumley could do “Byrd” on his C6/A7th (C6th with C# and the C on the bottom (essentially the birth of P8!)) pre-war B7 Rickenbacher with all the mastery of Touch and Tone, whilest JB standing behind him like a Goodfather… the whole HiFi Steel Guitar Album repertoire.
Only very few could come THAT close to JB’s style.

He had a friendship with JB and some of his closer friends, like Texan Wayne Tanner, with whom he discussed these guitars’ special tone (aka. “The Moan”).

… JD.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
GaryL

Tom Brumley C6th

Post by GaryL »

On Rick Nelson's Windfall album: "How Many Times." A gem!
Emmons LeGrande D-10
GFI Ultra D-10 keyless
Quilter SteelAire