Requesting photo ID

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

robert kramer

Requesting photo ID

Post by robert kramer »

Can anyone confirm the guitar player with Hal Rugg in this photo? I think it's Leo Jackson but not 100% sure. Would appreciate it if someone could confirm for sure. It's on the Bobby Lord TV Show. Thanks very much.

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Not Leo…

Might it be Colvard?

Don’t look like him though…

Hope you are well,Bob!

SH
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Thanks very much, Steve! I will compare photos of Jimmy Colvard. Steve, part of my responsibilities here is IDing photos and was already thinking of asking you for help. Would it be possible to e-mail you through the Forum and open up a channel where I can contact you w/ photos? It wouldn't be a lot, maybe just a couple of times a week, if that. Thanks, Bob
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Jimmy used to favor those Gibson archtops. I believe that Rugg and Colvard played together in the house band at the Flame in Mpls in the 1960s. Al Udeen would know. So would Clem Schmitz.
Steve Hinson

...well...

Post by Steve Hinson »

Bob,I've looked up some old photos of Jimmy Colvard and that cat doesn't look
much like him...maybe it was the Byrdland that threw me...I think JC's guitar actually had
humbucking pickups on it...definitely not Leo(I worked with him a bunch, later)...

Of course you can e-mail me anytime...they e-mail me from the Union about this kind of stuff...

Best,
Steve
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Thanks, Steve, and thanks for doing a search and seeing the difference between the Humbuckers on JC's Byrdland and the black Alcono Vs on the Bobby Lord Show guitarist's Byrdland. Thanks again, Bob
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

This website has some photos of him.
http://jazzmastermania.blogspot.com/201 ... -blue.html
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Kinda reminds me of a young Sugarfoot Garland?
Steve Hinson

...It's...

Post by Steve Hinson »

...Fred Carter Junior...

SH
Jack Hanson

Re: ...It's...

Post by Jack Hanson »

Steve Hinson wrote:...Fred Carter Junior...

SH
Fresh from Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Are we sure that's a Byrdland in the photo, and not an L-5?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

I am with Roger, I think it is a L-5. And that is not Leo Jackson. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Not being as steeped in the history of this music as are so many of you, I can't identify the player.

Back to the guitar; IF he wasn't obscuring the tailpiece, we could positively name it a Byrdland or an L-5. From what little we can see of the guitar's sides, though, it appears to be a full-depth archtop which indisputably makes it an L-5.

Further evidence comes from the distance between the pick-ups. The Byrdland's short-scale required the bridge to be further up in the belly and the pick-ups were closer together.

See the stock photo of a Byrdland that illustrates this anomaly.

I'd date this guitar (original post) as an L-5 from 1952 (the date the Tunomatic bridge appeared) to 1957 (the last year of the Alnico pick-ups).

This is the same guitar that Scotty Moore bought (trading in his ES-295) when Elvis' star was rising. Here he is with his '56 L-5.

Below that is a 1955 L-5 from a vintage store's inventory.

Apologies for the nerdy post!! :)
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Fred Carter, Jr. and providing details on Carter and Hal's Sho-Bud. Very helpful.

A quick, incomplete timeline of Fred Carter's career: mid-50s - Louisiana Hayride / Roy Orbison / Dale Hawkins / 1960 - Ronnie Hawkins and The Hawks / Conway Twitty / early 60s Nashville sessions & artist road dates / 1963 "Bobby Lord Show" photo /

NYC sessions: Simon & Garfunkel,

Nashville sessions: Dylan, Baez, multiple Nashville artists w/ every Nashville session steel player.

Here he is w/ Dylan & Charlie Daniels on a "Self Portrait" session at Columbia Studios in Nashville.

Mr. Rettig: no apologies needed for "nerdiness." Part & parcel of being a picker. Very helpful info on Gibsons. I'm sure he had a Tele or would add on, but Grady, Hank, Leon, Spider, and others all played Gibsons or Epiphone jazz boxes.[/quote]
Last edited by robert kramer on 8 May 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
billy tam

Guitar player

Post by billy tam »

That looks like a younger Fred Carter Jr I had the pleasure of backing Fred here in Baton Rouge in the early eighties. He was visiting John Loudermilk who was living here in town and his son Mike(monster guitarist) and I were in a band together. It was a great honor for me to play with such a guitar legend.
Billy
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Sorry bout the wrong ID on the gitter...

I was more concerned with who the guitar player was...

SH
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

An easy slip. Steve, but it's a sad reflection on my situation - medically retired from the road - that all I have to do these days is nit-pick about such things. At least you're still out there 'in the trenches'. :)

I do love seeing these old photos, though.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I made several errors in my last post which I have corrected. Fred Carter, Jr. cut with Dylan and Baez in Nashville. He cut with Simon & Garfunkel at Columbia in NYC. The photo I posted is of Dylan, Daniels, and Fred at Columbia in Nashville.

Thanks very much for correcting me.

I looked up L5's and Byrdlands in Gruhn's book and still couldn't figure it out.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Robert:

The confusion, I believe, comes from the fact that the fingerboard and headstock inlays are identical on both models. In reality, they're quite different; the Byrdland is short-scale and has that thinline body. The L-5s are standard scale and, with a few exceptions, a full-depth body.

Then there's that anomaly that Ray Price had: the cherry red archtop/L-5 but with an oval soundhole! His is the only one of those I've ever seen. The Custom Shop could throw a wrench in all the theorizing.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Here are two images of Price's Gibson L-5 CT "George Gobel" Special ordered with a round sound hole and no electronics. The Price Beat Family box set has color photos of Price and the guitar from the photo shoot for the "Night Life" LP.

Gibson L-5 CT "George Gobel"

In the early 50s, before he hit the big time as a TV star, George Gobel worked C&W package shows as "Little George Gobel."
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

The short scale of the Byrdland leads to the noticeably shorter pickguard, also.
Steve Hinson

Yep

Post by Steve Hinson »

When I worked for Ray,he walked on the bus(we were at his home)and said”Son,reckon you’d clean up my guitar and put some strings on it??”
Yep,”the one”…we didn’t have cell phones then,or even carry a camera-too
busy just doing it…

SH