A rare and beautiful find

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Davis

A rare and beautiful find

Post by John Davis »

Not sure if it will take the picture
Image Image

The little Fender/ Shobud (if the picture loads ) is one of the nicest I have ever found[/img]
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Nice herd! One of my students had a Fender/Sho-Bud, it sounded great, played smooth, and had the least amount of cabinet drop I've ever seen. A real bargain if you find one.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Great looking little Fender Artist. I'm still jonesing to get my hands on a D10. Used to be able to buy one for cheap, but anymore they've gone stupid expensive when found.
Guess I'll never know....might not like it anyway.
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

I have never before seen an elevated ashtray mounted in this way must be the last before the Gumby headstock.
The guitar is so positive to play hardly any movement required to make the changes ....it just needs to be "Day" set up to make it perfect.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I think all those F/S~B guitars were built in Nashville,TN...

I've lived here 46 years and I've never seen one!

SH
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I was about to ask if anyone thought that maybe this guitar had been rebuilt and rehoused in a custom cabinet with upgraded features (raised neck and tuning tray etc.) but a quick search turns up multiple examples of this. Here's one (and Google turns up some D-10's too). Live & learn.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=212542

Great looking guitar!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

There are a few Artists posted here on the forum that have the raised keyhead and neck, but there are also some simpler looking Fender Artists listed online... with more of a student model look.
One of my students had a D-10 Artist many years ago. I played it a couple of times and I was impressed with it. It had a good solid feel and played smoothly.

From Reverb, listed (probably incorrectly) as a 1965 Artist:

Jerry Overstreet

Fender/sho-bud Artist guitars had 3 models available in either that mahogany color or black.

There was a D10, and S10 with the raised neck and keyhead.....and an S10 student without the raised neck and keyhead.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ah, that makes perfect sense, Jerry. So the "Artist" could be a student model as well as a pro model. Kind of confusing. :?
Jerry Overstreet

Well, I might have misspoken. The 70s Fender line is what I should have written.

The Fender student model had the same features of the pro Artist without the raised neck and keyhead. I'm not sure if it was part of the Artist line, but I think it had the same changer etc. but came with only 1 lever......But, it can be confusing, yes.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 30 Apr 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, confusing, especially when online sellers list guitars incorrectly, like that "1965 Artist" which was probably not made in the 60s and is not an Artist. :)
Jerry Overstreet

Well, I'm kinda in over my head here, I just know they were all from the same era had the same appearance less the raised neck etc. I've seen the student S10 Fenders listed as Artist.

I read last week where someone said, Kelcey, I think that these were built only in 1976, 77.

Over 45 yrs. ago so some of the info gets lost over the years so I'll defer to the more knowledgeable.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

This 1977 Fender Catalog (Japan) lists the Student model as such, although some sellers today list it as an Artist.

Ronald Korza

Post by Ronald Korza »

Hwy Doug,
I had the Student S-10 when I first took lessons from you years ago.
I think I got that Guitar from Joe at Downtown Sounds.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Hi Ron, wow, that was a long time ago. I only remember the S-10 Dekley that you had. Can't remember what you had before that. We also stocked Carter Starters back then, but I think you were taking lessons before the Carter Starter came out.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

The Artist had a different changer from the student model. The Artist was a full all-pull (2/2?), while the student model was a pull release. Not sure about the student, but the Artist had knife edge fingers (no axle).

I briefly owned an Artist S-10. I liked it okay, but I had to replace the pickup, and discovered that there is no way to adjust pickup height on this axe. It sits directly on the bottom of the pickup cavity. As it originally came with a very shallow pickup, I had to have one custom made; no commercially available steel pickups would sit low enough to clear the strings.