Marty Stuart's Band

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J R Rose

Marty Stuart's Band

Post by J R Rose »

Curious to find what kind of Fender Amp Cousin Kenny is using?
Not sure where to post this, if it is not right please relocate. Thanks, J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

found this interview: https://www.askzac.com/post/kenny-vaughan
Kenny's a phenomenal player and a great guy too. a connoisseur as well!

VG: What’s your on stage rig with Marty?

KV: I use a ’64 Vibroverb, and a ’65 Showman with a 15" speaker. Sometimes I use an amp that Ky Kennedy built that is based on a late 50’s twin.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Jack Hanson

Kenny's amp(s) on the Stuart show

Post by Jack Hanson »

Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Kenny Vaughn and Marty Stuart have lots of amps but I know they were partial to silver-faced Princeton Reverbs for awhile. Catch that YouTube video of them on the David Letterman show where they burned things up. Hear tell they left a few of the house band members amazed.
Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 27 Apr 2023 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

Currently, Kenny is playing through a late 60s dripedge Vibrolux Reverb. From around early 2017 until just a few month’s back, r he was using a blackface mid 60s Deluxe Reverb. Before that, silverface Princeton Reverbs from the early 70s but went to bigger amps as the PR was not quite loud enough onstage to compete with Marty’s Deluxe on the tunes where Kenny needs a clean sound on his 12 string Rickenbacker. For louder outdoor shows, and as a spare/backup, he has been using an old 50 watt Bassman head (through an open back 2x12” custom made cab with Fender cosmetics for outdoor gigs).

Marty always plays through a silverface Deluxe Reverb. He has three total but is partial to one he bought years ago from from SIR in LA.
Gil James

Post by Gil James »

Hi Chris, thanks for chiming in on this,as I'm always curious about this stuff too!
Just watched y'alls new music video,too cool!!
What a band!
Gil James

Post by Gil James »

https://youtu.be/TsrktylH5mc
No steel, but I dont think anyone will mind.[/url]
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey Chris, good to hear from you. How about share what you use as well. The few times I saw you at Roberts I don't recall what you were using so maybe give is a heads up.

Regarding Marty, I could swear when I last saw him he was using something BIGGER than a DR , maybe a Pro Reverb.

Anyway, being a gear head is a nutty life , we probably need medicine. :D

Stay well, stay safe.

See you when you all come back to Charlotte.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

Chris Scruggs wrote:Currently, Kenny is playing through a late 60s dripedge Vibrolux Reverb. From around early 2017 until just a few month’s back, r he was using a blackface mid 60s Deluxe Reverb. Before that, silverface Princeton Reverbs from the early 70s but went to bigger amps as the PR was not quite loud enough onstage to compete with Marty’s Deluxe on the tunes where Kenny needs a clean sound on his 12 string Rickenbacker. For louder outdoor shows, and as a spare/backup, he has been using an old 50 watt Bassman head (through an open back 2x12” custom made cab with Fender cosmetics for outdoor gigs).

Marty always plays through a silverface Deluxe Reverb. He has three total but is partial to one he bought years ago from from SIR in LA.
I took this pic of Marty a few years prior to him buying the Deluxe. Ha! I did CMAs one year and got to show Marty the stack of these pics I took in 75 Williamsburg bluegrass fest. He was 16 and I was 15. He got a kick out of them and relayed some funny stories about the green polyester suits! What a talent he was, is and continues to be.

J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thanks Marc for sharing that picture. I still am not sure what cousin Kenny is using. In watching other videos I see him using different amps. Someone made a comment that the amps were just for Props. not what they were really using. Without knowing I kinda want to believe that. Tonight, (04-22-23) it showed Kenny using a Black Face Fender with small knobs. And a slim black face behind the knobs. Also tonight look like Marty was using a Fender Twin. My question may never have true straight answer.
Thanks All for your comments. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

JR, you got your definitive answer above. Chris Scruggs is in Marty’s band.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Yes Ken, I saw that by Chris. But he is a new comer. I am in ref to the old recorded shows you see on Sat night. Tonight was for sure and old tape. I may have seen two shows with Chris playing with the band in recent years or year. None of Marty's show are of late. It has been several years since they made any new ones from what I have read. I may be wrong but I don't think so but I have been wrong in the past. J.R. Rose
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

If it’s specifically the RFD show you are referring to, I was a guest on every season on that show playing non pedal steel. For most of the first season Marty and Kenny both played Princeton Reverbs. Prior to the show Marty was still using Twins but the band decided to use lower wattage amps for the sake of getting good sounds at a level appropriate for the tv studio. Marty soon moved rom the Princeton up to a silverface Deluxe Reverb and has stuck with it. Kenny stayed with the Princeton Reverb until Way Out West came out and moved to a blackface Deluxe, and more recently a Vibrolux.

Occasionally different gear would be used on the RFD show if it suited a particular song or Artist’s sound, but Princeton Reverbs for Kenny (he owned three at the time) and the Deluxe purchased from SIR in LA for Marty (he owns a couple of backups but strongly prefers the amp from SIR) were the standard arrangement in the tv show.
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

Tony Prior, my bass rig with Marty is a Rumble 500 head through a 1x15” Fender Bassman cabinet. For the guitar and/or steel work you might have seen me doing at Roberts, I was most likely using a late 67 Deluxe Reverb though I’ve had spells of using a 73 Vibrolux Reverb, 68 Pro Reverb, and 65 Super Reverb, too.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Tony wrote:Regarding Marty, I could swear when I last saw him he was using something BIGGER than a DR , maybe a Pro Reverb.
I worked with a band quite a few years back that opened a show for Marty and band (less Gary Carter on this one, unfortunately) at the San Antonio rodeo. I don't remember what Kenny was playing through, but Marty was playing through 2 Twins... and he was LOUD. But as you'd expect, it was big room with a rotating round stage in the center, so not such a big deal. Interestingly, we were set up on one half of the stage facing out, and Marty and his guys were set up on the other half, i.e. the bands were set up back to back. I got to 'wander' around amongst their stuff, fighting the urge to touch the Clarence White Tele... :-)
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hello Chris, Thank you very much for your input. I have watched Marty most every Sat. night on RFD TV since it started. So you are saying you were on every show. I have seen you sometimes on their thru the years but I can't remember you every time. But I am old now. And you say that Kenny and Marty both used Princeton Reverb in the early shows. I kinda thought that. And when was the first show and the last show recorded. Thanks, J.R. Rose
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

I wasn’t on every show, but appeared in select episodes from each season. I don’t know when the first episode was recorded (early 2008 feels about right), but the first episode featured Earl Scruggs and was the only episode to have no haybales on the set. The first show I guested on was with Chuck Mead and I played steel through Marty’s Princeton which is why I recall him using one as well. From then on, starting with the second season, Marty always had a Deluxe and Kenny stayed with a Princeton. Shows for the whole year were always taped in January/February (when touring work is slow), two episodes a day with a lunch break in between. I recall the last season was recorded in early 2014. I signed on as bassist at the very end of that year and started playing dates with Marty in March of ‘15.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thank You Again Chris. That is some good information. I do appreciate it all as I am sure others here on the Forum do. Take Care and Keep on Picking. J.R. Rose
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks Chris for this information. Marty and band are a magical show. I'm happy to see you with them.