Thoughts on the MSA Vintage XL?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

Thoughts on the MSA Vintage XL?

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I'm considering purchasing a used MSA Vintage XL D10 with Supersustain II pickups that the original owner is selling. Seller never really played it so it looks brand new. I searched the forum for any info on these guitars but it was pretty sparse.

It was built in Oct of 1982. Any thoughts one way or another on this model MSA?
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Certainly no expert here, but I played one for a bit. I found it to be a very nice guitar. The only one I liked better from this era was the SS model which meant Super Small. They were very similar, Vintage XL being a larger guitar.

Both lacquer bodied guitars and though still no featherweight, lighter in weight than the earlier micaed Classic.

It was a pretty popular guitar back in the early to mid 80s and remains relevant even today, I think. JMO.
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

I had one built for me in the early 80s. A D10 with 9 & 7. I no longer own that guitar, but never really had any complaints about it. The only thing I wish that I would have done was to change the pickups to something a bit brighter.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Any thoughts on the Supersustain II pickups. worth keeping or swap them out? If I buy this thing, I'm going to have to have it completely reset up and I've already contacted Kyle Bennett about MSA doing the work. It is currently set up with E's lowered and raised on the Right, I assume for a left handed set up of some sort. So, I'd have them replace the pickups if the aren't considered worth keeping.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

The Vintage XL was im my opinion the “old” MSA company’s flagship model.
Compared to the SS it had a fairly long key heads with enough room to slide off the nut and not getting into the keys of the first and last string.
Maurice Anderson himself still owned and played two Vintage XLs (a red/beige and his famed “The Steel Guitarist Magazine gracing green on black) one tuned E9th Universal and the other Bb6 “somewhat”-Universal (IF I remeber right, it had no “C”-pedal and was mostly setup with Jazz in mind, but could do the split A&B “moving licks” typical for E9th…. in that case evidently Eb9th) into his later years.
I would love to own one. 3 raises/ 3 lowers (in contrast to the earlier Classic XL which had only double raise & lower).

The pickup? I don’t know. Pickups have come a long way, and still some of the first ever pickups of different brands still seem to still attract players amd some are evem said to remain still unsurpassed.
I would not judge a guitar just on the pickup… to me, it’s a totally interchangable accessory, just like amps, and thus highly personal.

A well preseved MSA is still likely to outlive most young player that will take care of her. Ha!

As far as tone… google (youtube) Curly Chalker a man of steel mostly known for C6th… making his MSA sing and sustain over octaves on his rear E9th neck in some Country music settings!

https://youtu.be/b75msHFynvU

… JD

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

I play a 1980 S-10 Vintage XL with a single coil SuperSustain II pickup. I can't say enough good things about the construction of this guitar. It's solid, and built to last. Tonally, it is on the dark side, although the amp makes a big difference. Practicing through my Roland Cube 80, or my Fender Deluxe Reverb, it sounds great. On stage with my Session 400, I sometimes struggle to get the right balance of brightness without screech. How much of that is me (arguably a lot) vs the guitar is debatable. Sitting so close to the amp, I don't get the true tone that the audience is hearing. No complaints from the other band members. For me, the guitar is a keeper.
1980 MSA Vintage XL S-10, 1975 Session 400
1972 Dobro model 66s
Derby SD-10
Tom McDonough
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 23 Apr 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I decided to pass on the guitar. If anyone is interested, here is the listing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/546508472203896