Question about Left knee Cluster

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Sutton

Question about Left knee Cluster

Post by Bill Sutton »

Does anyone have 4 knee Levers for the Left Knee...And could you post A Pic Here on this Forum. I need to see how they are placed. I play A Emmons D10 And it takes A lot of space to use 2 LKR Levers. I would like to see how they are mounted. Thanks in advance.

Bill Sutton.
Last edited by Bill Sutton on 20 Apr 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Tuning one right now. I'll get some pics for you soon.
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

I got LKL1(front), LKL2(rear), LKV and LKR on my JCH D10

The LKV hinge on a cross-shaft between the Apedal and Bpedal crosshafts which makes it easy to use with LKR if I want

The LKL1(front) E's to F is on a cross-shaft between Bpedal and Cpedal cross-shafts.

The LKL2 is on a bracket between LKL1 cross-shaft and Cpedal cross-shaft. (separate rod to another crank-shaft further to the right)

All four LKL levers are kinda located towards the rear under the C6 neck

The cross-shafts for A, B and C pedal are half length and only cover the E9 neck.

B.Erlandsen
JCH D10 8+8

Hope the description is good enough to make a mental picture as I dont have a photo of it.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've got five -- double LKL's, double LKR's and LKV.

I've found the rear LKR to be extremely hard to position to make it work for me. To engage the front LKR without moving the rear LKR, the rear has to be offset to the right so far as to require an extreme scootch move to hit it. This is as opposed to the double LKL's (and my double RKR's) which do not present nearly as much of a problem.
I've got short legs and the geometry of the arc of the swing of my leg inward (as opposed to outward) is the issue.

I'm planning a new guitar and I'm probably (reluctantly) going to ditch LKR#2 altogether.
Mike Mantey

Mullen Cluster with 5 levers

Post by Mike Mantey »

Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

@Jon Light
I've got five -- double LKL's, double LKR's and LKV.
Thats the same configuration that was on my Zumsteel S12extE9 when I got it. I had the exact same experience with the rear LKR2 beeing not comfortable at all. The longer movement on the front LKR(E's-Eb) didnt make things easier either. Both my LKL1 LKL2 levers have pulls that are very short so there is no problems to use either one of those levers.

Luckily the rear LKR2 was on a separate bracket so I moved it to become a rear RKR2 instead and Ive been :D ever after.

Im pretty confident that I easily could work my way around 3 LKL (front, mid & rear) long before I would be comfortable with two LKR.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

My apologies for the sidetrack to the LKR issues. The title clearly states LKL. I guess this is a subject I've been wrestling with lately so it just set me off.
Bengt -- yes, my primary LKR is the 6th string full step drop and because this guitar has extreme cabinet drop, I use a wound 6th string so it is a loooong throw. A much shorter throw would keep the LKR2 plausible but in my situation it has everything stacked against it.
If I were 20 years old I'd consider rethinking my entire setup but at my age of 70 I am just plowing ahead trying to do my best with what I've developed.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Here's my Williams. There is a zero pedal so the A pedal is P2.

Bill Sutton

Post by Bill Sutton »

Thanks guys for the comeback. Thank you Bengt for the info.
Mike that is A very beautiful under carriage...Very nice and Clean...and so is Jon Light.. Very nice. I want to add A LKR to my guitar. The Emmons LKR levers take A lot of space to mount...and Im trying to make room for it right next to my original LKR. Its gonna be very complicated...not sure how to do it. If I get it on there...she will have 5 Knee levers for the left leg. I want to add some pulls that Tommy White has on his guitar...without losing the pulls that I have. I may have to call on you guys for help...Thats one of the great things about this forum...I think all Steel Guitar pickers are willing and ready to help each other out in time of need...A great bunch of guys for sure. Thank you my friends for your time.

Bill Sutton.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My LKL1 is raising 1,2 and 7. LKL2 (2" from the rear apron) lowers the Es.

LKR raises the Es, of course, but my LKV now raises the 5th string to a D. This overrides the A pedal and is easy to operate, giving me lots of options on that one string. Pedals down, it gives me a smooth Asus4 chord. As I also lower the 5th (RKL), I can move that string from a low A to the D. All while using the B pedal if needed.

Back to LKLs: on my Emmons, the throw involved in raising 1,2,7 is long; for that reason, I moved it to LKL1. It was tricky engaging the 3-string raise without brushing against my E lower.

I can engage LKV and LKL2 simultaneously. I can't easily use LKV and LKL1 together but, as yet, I see no need to.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A PS:

An interesting use of that LKV raising the 5th to D:

Strings 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 with LKV, Es lowered and the B pedal engaged gives me a sort of C6 pedal 8 - B7#9 at the zero fret.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I have two LKV's plus an inside front LKL which hangs from the next inner cross shaft from the rear LKL... so 5 LK's works well for me.

The LKV's just stick out 2" from the LKL or LKR respectively to the center. There is a 3" gap between the two in the middle, so that I can play the one or the other without dragging along the other.

I play 6 pedals out of that left cluster.

... J-D

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.