Lap Steel Shopping in Nashville

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jordan Slator

Lap Steel Shopping in Nashville

Post by Jordan Slator »

I’m going to be in Nashville for a few days in May and was thinking of doing some lap steel shopping. I plan to stop by Gruhn’s, Carter’s and Rumble Seat, but in perusing their websites, none of them seem to have much by way of lap steels in stock. Is there any place in Nashville that carries a good selection of lap steels?
David DeLoach

Post by David DeLoach »

Carter's used to have a great selection of steels - I bought a '57 T8 Stringmaster and a '60 D8 Stringmaster and a '38 Oahu lap steel from Carter's. But the last few times I've been there the steel inventory has thinned out. But they typically have more steels for sale than what shows up on their web page.

Carter's got bought out - or is in some sort of financial deal - with the same firm that bought Cotten Music [a.k.a. North American Guitar] which now resides in the same building as Carter's.

Since there is "new management" the steel inventory has thinned out, Carter's got rid of all their books, and the last time I went by there on a Saturday I couldn't get in because it was by appointment only on Saturdays. Not sure if that is still in place, but you may want to check before going there if your visit is on a Saturday.

It's still a great store and worth the visit, but not quite what it was back in the day.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Fanny’s in East Nashville usually have a few lap steels. It’s a cool store.
Jordan Slator

Post by Jordan Slator »

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely check out Fanny's. From their website, they seem to have quite a few lap steels. I'll also keep that info about Carter's in mind when I'm there.
George Piburn

Johnie King

Post by George Piburn »

Johnie King builds super laps , he is well worth contacting.

He is a regular on the forum in the steel guitars for sale section.