Thoughts on an 8 string "dobro" G tuning (lap steel)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Fogarty

Thoughts on an 8 string "dobro" G tuning (lap steel)

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Hey,

I've found myself with TWO D-8 steels at the moment, and was thinking about some kind of dobro high G tuning for one of the necks.

What would you think of strings 1-6 tuned with typical high G, then add a low F for the 7th string and reentrant E on the 8th string, pitched between the 3rd and 4th strings? Or maybe make the 7th string reentrant, as well.

BTW, I've used 8 string G6, and that's not quite what I'm looking for....although having access to a reentrant 6th occasionally in my tuning above would be nice.

Ideas?
Last edited by Jim Fogarty on 4 Apr 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

So hi-to-lo G D B G D B F e right?
From prior experimentation, I would rather have a re-entrant middle F (b7) than a low F on string 7:
G D B G D B f e

If you want to stay low on that string, a low E might be more useful than a low F if the E string is going to be re-entrant below it:
G D B G D B E e

If straight across, rather than re-entrant, i think that G13 tuning would be more player friendly unless you really work on the grips and mentality:
G D B G E D B F

Another good option for string 7 would be a middle F#.
G D B G D B f e

Overall, I would personally prefer this same tuning in E or D, as the “high g” I am thinking of has the root on top and is the same as open D or E but pitched up.
Unless of course you are playing music that you already play on a G tuning, and are just looking to spice up that familiar ground.
If you are playing dobro repertoire, you may also want to consider a re-entrant A or C.
I’ve found that there are some cool modal sounds using those, which are the 2nd and 4th of the scale, respectively.

Anyway, those are just some of my ideas, I of course could be wrong or maybe overlooked something.

What is your new D8? :) That’s a nice looking blond Dual Pro in your profile pic.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Thanks......sorry if I was confusing. I meant High G dobro, as in standard dobro tuning, so:

L->H G-B-D-G-B-D

with my 8 string variation being:

e-F-G-B-D-G-B-D

or

e-f-G-B-D-G-B-D

I just got a nice Guyatone D-8, stringmaster type. Sounds and plays great!
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Jim Fogarty wrote:Thanks......sorry if I was confusing. I meant High G dobro, as in standard dobro tuning, so:

L->H G-B-D-G-B-D

with my 8 string variation being:

e-F-G-B-D-G-B-D

or

e-f-G-B-D-G-B-D

I just got a nice Guyatone D-8, stringmaster type. Sounds and plays great!
What about E G B D G B D F or e G B D G B D F?
Having the E on string 8 gives you a root position Em7, and having the F on top gives you a root position G7.

If you have both the e & f reentrant they probably need to be reversed to f e G B D G B D.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Jim, I have thought about putting this exact tuning on an 8 string Fender lap steel that I have. I have an 8 string Dobro tuned E,G,B,D,E,G,B,D and I like it but after playing a 6 string Dobro with the G,B,D,G,B,D tuning on it for a long time I find it awkward to play the standard Dobro licks on the 8 string. I guess the middle E just gets in my way. I have even thought about just putting 6 strings on an 8 string lap steel too. I have also considered using the tuning you are talking about for the top neck on a D8 I have, replacing the E13 that's on there now. I have a C6 on the bottom neck. I like the basic Dobro tuning for old C&W and Americana style songs and I have also decided that its the way I want to go for a Blues tuning too. I will be curious to hear what you think about it if in fact you decide to try it. I'll probably get around to trying it myself sometime too. Keep us posted to how it works out for you if you decide to try it.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

I have not heard that High G Dobro terminology before.
I was confused because high G makes me think of high G C6th, as to distinguish between the usual third on top tuning and the fifth on top C6th as used by Cindy Cashdollar, Bobby Ingano, Junior Brown, etc.

Like the logical and traditional way of listing string one first (aka hi-to-low), I also prefer the old terminology G (or A) high bass to mean EC#AEC#A/DBGDBG tuning, as well as G (or A) low bass to mean the open G tuning as on guitar (taro patch tuning), EC#AEAE/DBGDGD.
I have even seen “E high bass” on old sheet music recently, presumably E B G# E B G#.

High G makes me think of high G C6th, as to distinguish between the usual third on top tuning and the fifth on top C6th as used by Cindy Cashdollar, Bobby Ingano, Junior Brown, etc.

I also see high G used to distinguish between the C6th pedal steel tuning with a high G (as it was originally conceived), and the re-entrant D on top C6th that Buddy Emmons and others started using since the late 70s (I think?).

I guess hi-to-lo: GDBGDB would be “high G high G”, or maybe “high high G” :lol:

Those Guyatones are really cool… like Magnatones, they come up fairly often and cheap too… I have enough instruments but it’s tough to resist sometimes!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I like the idea of a low F and a reentrant E. It's similar to the E13 tunings I like. I would probably put the reentrant string at the top making the standard dobro tuning the middle six.
Low to hi F G B D g b d E
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

To my taste E minor 7th tuning was never meant to play Bluegrass music. It works much better for swing music and such.
Rich Arnold

Re: Thoughts on an 8 string

Post by Rich Arnold »

Jim Fogarty wrote:Hey,

I've found myself with TWO D-8 steels at the moment, and was thinking about some kind of dobro high G tuning for one of the necks.

What would you think of strings 1-6 tuned with typical high G, then add a low F for the 7th string and reentrant E on the 8th string, pitched between the 3rd and 4th strings? Or maybe make the 7th string reentrant, as well.

BTW, I've used 8 string G6, and that's not quite what I'm looking for....although having access to a reentrant 6th occasionally in my tuning above would be nice.

Ideas?
I'm a dobro player that moved to 8 string lap steel. What worked best for me is the DBGDBG dobro tuning but with a E in the middle and an E on the bottom. so it looks like this...

D
B
G
E
D
B
G
E

And it sounds like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrR1jN4hAWM

Hope this is interesting you. Or at least amusing. R.
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

Tom Keller wrote:To my taste E minor 7th tuning was never meant to play Bluegrass music. It works much better for swing music and such.
I think it works fine for bluegrass but to each his own.

https://youtu.be/OEOY06U6JW8
https://youtu.be/Qu9W6mVfw4U
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Thanks all.

Rich and Greg, I've played G6 and lowering the G to E.....and they're great......but in this instance I really want to keep the 6 string standard Dobro tuning intact and not broken up. Just considering whether or not to add a string 7 and 8.

Guess I'll just try it and see.....and report back.
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

Jim Fogarty wrote:Thanks all.

Rich and Greg, I've played G6 and lowering the G to E.....and they're great......but in this instance I really want to keep the 6 string standard Dobro tuning intact and not broken up. Just considering whether or not to add a string 7 and 8.

Guess I'll just try it and see.....and report back.
I never found having an E in the middle to be disruptive because E is a note in the G major scale. Maybe it doesn't work too good for you but I got a lot of mileage from it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBx-l04VO8&t=15s