Beautiful New Squareneck Resonator

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jonathan Scherer

Beautiful New Squareneck Resonator

Post by Jonathan Scherer »

This is a beautiful guitar I asked my friend to build for me.

90% of the wood milled on my bandsawmill.

It is close to a 000 size, 15" width on the lower bout,
9" waist, 11" upper bout. 4-1/4" deep. Arched back.

One piece Redwood top. American Black Walnut back, sides,
and neck. Fruit Cherry fretboard w/abalone dots, Fruit Cherry peghead veneer. Eastern Black Cherry binding.
Open soundwell with Persimmon posts.

Beard Legend Cone, Beard adjustable spider bridge, Hipshot locking tuners, Karel Zacal coverplate and tailpiece, Fishman Nashville pickup. Threaded inserts for the coverplate screws.

It was a present to myself, after ending ten years working at the local post office. A neighbor surprised me on the last day of work, with cash gifts from the community, which I used for all the good hardware and a JD Aura pedal.

All the wood is meaningful to me, with stories. A friend gave me two Redwood slabs that his father had for decades.
The Black Walnut was rescued from rootwads that were next to my brothers outhouse for years and scheduled for burning. A friends orchard removed their Cherry trees.
My luthier friend had the Persimmon from his farm.

I sliced 1/4" thick pieces from the Redwood and Black Walnut slabs on my bandsawmill.

The luthier is Michael Hampel, he has a small shop and commercial farm/orchard at 25 Mile Creek, near Chelan Washington. he builds Classical style guitars, Weissenborn style guitars and this is his first Reso.
https://hampelguitars.com/

1948 National Dynamic, 1953 Oahu Tonemaster,cheap Aiersi Weissenborn, Hambro custom square neck reso, Carvin X-60A, Fender Acoustasonic 30
and 10, Roland Cube Street
Jonathan Scherer

More Photos

1948 National Dynamic, 1953 Oahu Tonemaster,cheap Aiersi Weissenborn, Hambro custom square neck reso, Carvin X-60A, Fender Acoustasonic 30
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

You're darn tootin that is a beautiful guitar! Congrats on you retirement. Enjoy your present. I have 18 days till I retire.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Jonathan Scherer

Forward facing soundport

Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Stunning!
Jonathan Scherer

Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Just gorgeous—congratulations!!!
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Holy carp!!!!!.......I can't take a cold enough shower!.......this guitar is beyond gorgeous......and that coverplate!......
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

WOW!! I’ve been wondering if it would be worth it to have cutouts on the the front walls to project more volume. Do you think it’s worth it?

Beautiful axe!!
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Jonathan Scherer

re side soundport

I think the idea with the soundport on the forward facing side is for a mic (the side port would be located near, and facing a mic).
Have not tried that yet.

There is lots of sound coming out of the cone/spider/coverplate area and sort of facing and going upwards towards my ears. The idea (for me) is that some of the sound would also be traveling from the side port, towards other musicians in an unamplified jam situation.

Michael has some classic style guitars with the side soundport on the up side, facing the guitarist, so the player hears more of the sound.

Glad you guys like this reso as much as I do! Michael does beautiful work and it was fun to collaborate on it with him.

HowardR, down boy! :D

JMan
Brad Richard

Post by Brad Richard »

Truly a work of art. I'd almost be afraid to play it. Almost :D