Fender T8 stringmaster $2500 obo

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Christopher Herbst

Fender T8 stringmaster $2500 obo

Post by Christopher Herbst »

An old T8 that I bought off the forum 10 or so years ago. I had big ambitions to use but aside from a handful of gigs 10 years ago it does not get played...
I seem to remember it being from the mid 50's. I removed all the tuning pans to check for a date but due to overspray can't really see what is scribbled in there...
Could be from the 60s. I can't tell for sure...
Aside from one big gouge and some small chips the paint is in great shape. All electronics work well. Tuners work. Telescoping legs work..
sounds awesome! 24 1/4 " scale
Feel free to ask any questions!
Cheers,
Chris
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes that is a mid-scale Stringmaster....> 24 1/2" scale always shows 3-dots past 24th fret. Therefore it is mid to late 50's swamp-ash best sounding Stringmaster... and that is the last tweed case before they started the black case in early 60's.
So my best guess is you have a T-8 Stringmaster in the '57-'58 era...hard to say '59 cause they just were NOT making anything but short 22 1/2" scale from then>On.
Very nice sound on this one I'm sure.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Mark Helm

Post by Mark Helm »

Ricky Davis wrote: ...it is mid to late 50's swamp-ash best sounding Stringmaster... and that is the last tweed case before they started the black case in early 60's.
So my best guess is you have a T-8 Stringmaster in the '57-'58 era...
Ricky
No offense, Ricky, but, given the finish and especially the case, it can't be a '57-'58 guitar.

My best guess is that this is a 1962-63 guitar. Please allow me to explain (and I welcome corrections from anyone who is better versed on Stringmaster history than I):

Fender dropped the beautiful tweed case for this "brown" tolex in late '59, but the interior was yellow thru late 1961.

Sometime in late '61/early'62, Fender went with the red interior your case has. And sometime in late '63/early '64, they went with the Black tolex we all know.

So--AS this is not a tweed case, you almost certainly do not have a '50s guitar. That said, it's a gorgeous early 60s model. I cannot speak to whether or not it's made of swamp ash... maybe someone else can.

Best of luck with your sale!!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Mark Helm

Ps)

Post by Mark Helm »

PS) Are all 3 bridge covers missing, or did you remove them for the pics? These things are impossible to find replacements for these days!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Christopher Herbst

Bridge covers are missing. Can't remember if they were ever on there. I'll look for them.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

OH you're right Mark; I forgot about the more details of that case. I had that exact case that came with my T-8 Stringmaster that was indeed 1959....I just was not THAT aware of the Triple cases before it...>>Good info Bro.
And it being a Mid Scale in '59 and later; I just never seen one.(until now...ah..ha.) and yeah Swamp ash did End in 60's as they found cheaper Ash to build even more Steels..ha...LOL...
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Mark Helm

No worries, Ricky...

Post by Mark Helm »

...I owe all my Stringmaster knowledge to guys on the Forum and my teacher, Jeff Kearns.

Glad it was helpful!
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yeah Mark I too have long time teacher of Stringmaster John Ely> https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/index.php ; he always answered all my questions way back to his Asleep at the Wheel days; when my older brother was their bus driver..ah...ha....I just haven't talked to him as much since he moved away from Austin,TX.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Mark Helm

John Ely + Jeff Kearns

Post by Mark Helm »

Jeff studied under Ely for a while.

But Jeff was a long-time pro pedal steel player. In fact, he was a member of the Steve Miller Band for a few years:

HERE Jeff is with the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5AZgZOYhbU

He's one of the most wonderful non-pedal players and scholars of the form. He's been an incredibly generous teacher, too. Great guy I feel deeply fortunate to have met. He ignited my passion for non-pedal.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Wow that is great Mark; I used to always think how good a Pedal steel would sound with Steve Miller...and wala...there ya go; Jeff does it.....incredible dynamic melodic stuff Steve has always done..and and pedal steel just fits that conversation so well.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Darryl Hattenhauer

Fender T8 for sale

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Pardon my newby ignorance, but is this still for sale?
Steel crazy after all these years.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
Christopher Herbst

Still for sale!
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Sorry. I just bought another one.
Steel crazy after all these years.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sometime during that era, some Stringmasters didn't come with bridge covers.
The bridges were different. The ends of the bridges, with covers, were pointed.
It looks like, on this guitar, that the ends are pretty much rounded and you couldn't fasten the covers on this type of bridge.
Erv
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Erv Niehaus wrote:Sometime during that era, some Stringmasters didn't come with bridge covers.
The bridges were different. The ends of the bridges, with covers, were pointed.
It looks like, on this guitar, that the ends are pretty much rounded and you couldn't fasten the covers on this type of bridge.
Erv, looking at the fourth picture, I can see the lines from the covers worn into the chrome. Note that on original guitars the covers would have had a piece of black tape on the edge at the back to prevent the covers from rattling on the plate. As has been noted here, most folks just take them off... but you can deduct 50$ each for them missing.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Stephen,
Now that I looked closer, I believe you're right. :D
Erv
Scott Spanbauer

Post by Scott Spanbauer »

Sent a PM
Carter D10, Emmons GS10, T8 Stringmaster, 50s Fender Deluxe
johnnyblueheart.com