Rusty Young, one great player

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Prior

Rusty Young, one great player

Post by Tony Prior »

Its possible Rusty was overlooked as being a great player. Being in a band with Timothy Schmidt , Jim Messina and Richie Furay may have kept him in the back seat, unnoticed. Here's a clip from 1971 , Rusty is clearly showing his stuff !

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2ob6-1p-M
Last edited by Tony Prior on 22 Mar 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
billy tam

Rusty Young

Post by billy tam »

I for one found Rusty one of my earliest major influences. Just getting involved with the instrument.
Bad Weather was always one of my favorite Poco songs. His ride on the album was one I attempted to learn for quite some time. Also Kind Woman work with Buffalo Springfield was awesome. His ability encompasses soul, feel, taste, and speed when needed. Obviously I’m a fan. Billy
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Incredible player.

I don't understand what caused him to essentially drop steel, pick up a 6-string and become the Poco frontman. I completely lost interest in the band - and him - at that point.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jim Sliff wrote:Incredible player.

I don't understand what caused him to essentially drop steel, pick up a 6-string and become the Poco front man. I completely lost interest in the band - and him - at that point.

Once Richie left , then Timothy , unfortunately POCO was just the name of the band. Sure they had some tunes on the charts but they were not what they were, it was a totally different band. Rusty moving off Steel to the front I'm sure was about promoting the new lineup which was indeed POP oriented. I tried to hang on after Richie left but when Timothy moved on, so did I. To me that would be like Paul and John leaving the Beatles but with George and Ringo carrying on without them.

I suspect Paul (Cotton) and Rusty would have disagreed with me ! :D
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I have read somewhere that new members Carlie Harrison and Steve Chapman were nicknamed the Enlish rhythm section.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

I wore out the record with Bad Weather…still love the steel on that one. I am also big Jim Messina fan. Although my introduction to Poco was Good Feelin To Know, to me the quintessential Poco album is Deliverin, and Messina’s influence.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Many of the greatest players of all instruments never get fully appreciated because they choose to support the song rather than their own egos, holding back ample but superfluous chops in the interest of the best possible music. Rusty Young has always been solidly in that camp, with the likes of George Harrison, Leon Russell, Carol Kaye, Glenn Campbell, and many more true heroes of American music.