Record Time to Watch CMA Award Show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Vollmer

Record Time to Watch CMA Award Show

Post by Tom Vollmer »

Let's see who can watch the CMA Awards Show the the longest. I will start 23 Min. That far I wasn't sure if it was the sequel to the NFL BEyounce Show LOL
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well so far; there has been ZERO Pedal Steel Guitar. So obviously all those "so to speak: Country Singers" don't know that pedal steel guitar is THE DEFINING INSTRUMENT IN COUNTRY MUSIC....Period. But non of them would know that because none of them have learned about the HISTORY of Country Music and how it came to be.
(btw; none of us original austinites live in Austin anymore; I live in Buda, Tx(it's where Jimmy Day lived before he passed)......ah...ha...
Ricky
p.s. just posted this and Big Jelly has a pedal steel player for the gospel show 8:45pm central time.
p.s.s; just finished and of course you could not hear pedal steel and made no impact on what ever kind of song that turned out to be.
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Oh - you’re talking about the CMT (Country Music Television) Awards, not the CMA which happens I think late in the year.

It’s not on for another hour here in California, but I decided to record it on the DVR and might check it out later tonight before I go to bed.

I think of the DVR as the greatest invention for television since color and the remote control - because there is no way I can watch these things in real time along with suffering through commercials.

But through the beauty of the fast forward button sometimes one can find a few gems in these award shows.
Mark
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I haven't watched that circus in years. Why bother. I would rather polish my tone bars.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

CMA = "Country My A$$". I have not watched those awards shows for probably 15 years. Even that far back a great many acts which would normally considered country performed songs on awards shows that were as far away from country as they could get.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I think I win at minus 10 years. Watching these award shows are a waste of time.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

I popped in just in time to see Cody Johnson perform a nice song with lots of steel up in the mix. Couldn't see who it was 'cause the the band was on a different, distant stage. For all I know it was pre-recorded anyway...
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Mark Eaton wrote:I think of the DVR as the greatest invention for television since color and the remote control...
I think of the garage sale as the greatest invention for television. Purged my domicile of its nearly new flat-screen 25" Sony Trintron for about $20 in 2002, and to be perfectly honest, hadn't missed it since the '70s.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Probably less than 30 seconds. Saw a woman, I would associate with a pop/rock show, prancing around. That was enough for me.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Johnson

CMA Awards Show

Post by Larry Johnson »

Can anyone say "MURDER ON MUSIC ROW?"
Eddy Dunlap

Post by Eddy Dunlap »

Well, at least we tried :D I recorded all of the commercial bumps going into break(One was heavy C6th swing first thing, and another was a country 4/4 shuffle steel solo) as well as accompanying Megan Moroney, Nate Smith, Lily Rose, Avery Anna, Chapel Hart, and Jackson Dean in the staff band. Four of which were on pedal steel. I thought everyone did a good job. Pulling off a live show this size with multiple stages, acts with their own road bands, along with lights/pyro/video in a new location outside of where we normally film is pretty hard to do. I'm thankful for the job and to make a living from it. I always strive, no matter what the situation calls for in the work place, to make the employer happy and to make the song/artist come to life. I'll try to feature the steel in any way shape I can to make it shine, but I have to consider the context it's accompanying. A lot of variables are at play including the other instruments in the band, engineer, the demo of the song, where everyone in the room is going, and the audio aesthetic. And if it's like doing a show like this, then everyone involved is committed to sticking to the record.

If people want to support steel guitar and traditional country music, go out and spend the money/time on the artists who play it. I produced this Tim Bolo song at my new recording studio I put in my house. The new music from the rest of the album Dennis Crouch is making(He's playing upright on this particular song) with Russ Pahl and I. To me, I enjoy making this kind of music and arranging it just as much as pop country or anything else. Whatever the listener enjoys, and if it features steel guitar... EVEN BETTER :lol:

https://youtu.be/g93OcgTR2Ms

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Good stuff Eddy; you are DA'MAN...and you're doing it my brother. Stay with it; Continue on.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Killer track!.. excellent playing!!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Eddy, if you keep that outlook and attitude you will stay busy, and I will enjoy at least giving a listen to what you are called to play, and will be proud of you.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

I made it about 20 minutes. Just could not take it. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I haven't watched any of the so called Country awards shows in many years. Most names mentioned are people I've never heard of.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

plus 1 ^^^ for Eddie Dunlap. Every time I saw him he is outstanding. Every little bit helps. Sad to say as we all know most 60’s and 70’s country is gone.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

Can someone who has a better knowledge of music than me give an objective analysis of how the current music people refer to as country differs from the country music of the 50's through the 90's? For example are there different chords which predominate, are the rhythmic structure different, etc. Thanks!
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

My recorder on my dish network gets all the local stations, but ABC. I thought I should try to watch it since I could fast forward anything I did not care for. I watched long enough to see them list who was going to be on. then I turned it off.
Eddy this is a great sound. I love it.
By the way I make it a point to record Penny Gilley and Tru Country.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Darrell Criswell wrote:Can someone who has a better knowledge of music than me give an objective analysis of how the current music people refer to as country differs from the country music of the 50's through the 90's? For example are there different chords which predominate, are the rhythmic structure different, etc. Thanks!
Good question Darrell. I'd like to see someone tackle this.

I'm always torn when these award shows come up. Ambivalence between wanting to watch, listen to and support my brother steel guitar players and enduring the spectacle.

I'm just sorry the musicians, particularly the steel players, don't have better fare to work with.

I watched long enough to see some pretty scantily clad lady and her fans with massive body etchings and that superstar country music icon Jelly Roll get their awards. I had to go, couldn't go for the looks of these performers and presenters nor most of the music doled out.

All just one big mess. That's my opinion.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I didn't watch it this year-I don't watch much TV anyway, but I only watched the show back when my friend Katie Cook was hosting on the CMT network. CMT was the station that introduced me to country music and the steel guitar. In the eighties and nineties, I watched the station a lot because I loved the videos. Two of my favorite artists were on the show-Carly Pearce and Wynonna. I'd love to see Danni Leigh on TV again, a great artist who loves the steel guitar! I also miss seeing closeups of the steel guitar
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Larry Baker wrote:I haven't watched any of the so called Country awards shows in many years. Most names mentioned are people I've never heard of.

same here …even driving down Briley Pkwy and checking out GOO neon sign , I don’t know any of those names , and it’s been like that for years now , don’t care for CMA, CMT, GOO etc.. nothing for me to see there …

“this new music ain’t too bad,
but they need to change the name ,
because sure as hell ain’t Country”

~ George Jones ~
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

I don't have much time to peck this message. But I will say I've been watching things for years and I think we are due for a resurgence in Country music. It's gotten so bad that it starts to sound like Hip-hop. I think the music industry here in Nashville knows it's in trouble.