Prairie Oyster With Dennis Delorme On Steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Day

Prairie Oyster With Dennis Delorme On Steel

Post by Brett Day »

Lately on YouTube, I've been watching videos by the band Prairie Oyster, a band from Canada that I listened to in the early 90s. I remember in their videos, steel player Dennis Delorme played an Emmons steel. I couldn't tell if his steel was a Legrande or push-pull. Dennis is a great player! I can remember watching Dennis in their videos, and thinking about how great it would be if I could play pedal steel
Jerry Overstreet

Re: Prairie Oyster With Dennis Delorme On Steel

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Brett Day wrote:Dennis is a great player! I can remember watching Dennis in their videos, and thinking about how great it would be if I could play pedal steel
And you did! So now you know!

Yeah Brett, I remember Prairie Oyster too. They had a little different but nice quality to their music. Thanks for the reminder.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I also have CD of there's that Dan Dugmore plays on.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

IIRC, Dennis played a woodgrain Push Pull.
His D-10 sadly, was stolen, after which he played a PP SD-10.
Dennis, aside from being a lovely guy, is a super player.
I did quite a lot of shows with him in the mid 1980’s and he always played interesting and inspired parts.
Standing next to Dennis, playing my Telecaster, I would get mesmerized watching him play!
He was directly responsible for me taking up pedal steel.
I also had incredible help and guidance from other excellent Canadian steelers like Ron Dann (R.I.P.), Mike Holder, Burke Carroll and Bob Taillefer.
Mike Holder

Dennis DeLorme

Post by Mike Holder »

I first met Dennis who was nick named " Orville" in 1973, he could play anything with strings! He helped me understand the ABC pedals and the one knee lever I had as I only had an MSA sidekick at the time. When Dennis bought a Sho-Bud I purchased his single 10 MSA semi classic with 5 & 4 and loved it until I eventually owned Ron Dann's D-10 MSA classic with 9 & 8 which I played for 15 years proudly. The wood grain Emmons P.P. was in rough shape and while they were recording in Nashville, Steve Fishell was their producer and as a surprise to Dennis he took it to Jimmie Crawford and had it setup by him and when Dennis came in for overdubs he was blown away by the difference! He is a true gentleman and kind soul and the longest recipient of the CMA hall of fame steel guitarist award.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Tommy Mark

Post by Tommy Mark »

Mike.do you Do know his brother? I cant think of his name.. he was a really good guitar player. Played for Honey West etc...
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Tommy; I only knew Dennis, I do know he had a son who was a remarkable guitarist but can’t remember his name at all, sorry.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I watched the video "One Precious Love" and it looks like Dennis is playing an SD-10 in the video. I do know, on "Goodbye, So Long, Hello", he's playing a D-10 because the solo is played on C6th. He plays a D-10 on "Such A Lonely One", which was released in 1994. He also plays an Emmons D-10 on "Lonely You, Lonely Me" released in 1991, and there's a closeup of Dennis' picks and bar on the E9th neck of his Emmons.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaye_Delorme

Hella player. Did one of the more credible versions of “Sleepwalk” I’ve heard. And on standard guitar.