Keyless Shobud?, Eddie Gray on Crimson and Clover

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

Keyless Shobud?, Eddie Gray on Crimson and Clover

Post by Dave Zirbel »

The link should take you to a photo of Eddie Gray at the pedal steel session for Crimson and Clover by Tommy James & the Shondells. The caption says it’s a Shobud, but it sure doesn’t look like one, although I know they made one, or perhaps a few keyless prototypes…I see the Shobud logo, and a metal pickup cover like from the old Magnatone steels….hard to tell what it really is. Also I’m only counting 6 strings on the neck he’s playing and no strings on the front neck.
https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachr ... 1178100672

Eddie was really a guitarist that dabbled with steel. Apparently there was a problem with the tape speed while tracking which caused it to be out of tune.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Looks like a sticker from a pedal bar got pasted on a who-knows-what....
Daniel Bailey

Post by Daniel Bailey »

Great find on that photo!

But, there are tuners visible...right under the white chair and the amp in the background...just to the right of what looks like a footswitch for an amp.

Yeah, I'm guessing that was some kind of custom...something...that someone applied a Sho-Bud sticker to.

Now I'm totally ashamed to admit that I just tried locating that lick on my E9 Mullen...without success. Anyone want to lend a hand for what must be the simplest PSG tab on a hit record?
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

But, there are tuners visible...right under the white chair and the amp in the background
Good eye! I missed that. I normally don't look for tuners on right. Could it be a Multi-Kord?
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Back in the day, I absolutely loathed Crimson & Clover; I always punched the button and changed the station whenever it came on in the car. Never heard enough of it to realize there was steel guitar. Just gave another listen, and my memory was confirmed; it has not aged well.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I'm a flower child of the 60s and as I recall the radio play did not include the pschedelic version with the steel guitar and all the guitar fuzz, phase etc. on my local stations.

That long version came along a year or so later.

At least that's the way I remember it.🤪

I didn't hear the psychedelic cut until years later. Guess I missed it somehow. Intersting steel licks though. Glad they saw fit to include it.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Jack Hanson wrote:Back in the day, I absolutely loathed Crimson & Clover; I always punched the button and changed the station whenever it came on in the car. Never heard enough of it to realize there was steel guitar. Just gave another listen, and my memory was confirmed; it has not aged well.
I kinda liked the version by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts.

Mark