David Lindley Tribute

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

kevin ryan

David Lindley Tribute

Post by kevin ryan »

I don't often post here, however, I was friends in the early days of this with Bobby Lee. We were both beginner web programmers in the 90's and we talked about the bulletin board concept and how it could work. He was a tremendous part in the growth of the pedal steel and keeping it alive. RIP my friend.
Here is a recent show a month ago to a packed house in socal, 600+. I played and we covered Running on Empty, by Jackson Browne. These players are all top notch and the funny thing is, the girl playing the tambourine, Julie Pusch is the best musician up there.
Check it out, it's a fun one to play. Hope you like it. RIP David Lindley

https://youtu.be/1cTiy9bIdlc
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Excellent rendering! I think David and BOB would’ve appreciated that.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Excellent all the way around. I particularly appreciate your ability to capture a good Mr. Dave style lap steel tone on pedal steel.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Nice job, Kevin. You definitely channeled that Lindley sound.
Chuck
Donn Lewis

Post by Donn Lewis »

Well done. I was at the concert when this song was originally recorded by Browne -- you did Lindley well!
Mullen Discovery 3x4
Milkman half and half 12" combo
Goodrich 120, Steeler's choice seat, Mud Stand, BJ's bar, Peterson Strobostomp HD
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Great job Kevin, really great tribute!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Bravo Kevin

- what gadgets were you using to simulate Lindley's tone?
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Great job, thanks for sharing this with us. I too would be interested to hear what you are using to get that David Lindley style tone.
kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

Thanks for your comments guys, I really appreciate it. On these shows I go a little unconventional. I use the quilter 112 but only the power amp part of it. The preamps are all modeled amps using the Boss GT1000 core. Great clean, pretty steel sounds are easy to find with this unit along with half cocked wah wah eq and a boss DT1 overdrive programmed. Would not use this for a bar gig.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Superb! Really a lovely tribute to both Mr. Lindley, and to bOb. Thanks for sharing it here!
52 Fender Dual 8, Jackson Pro V, other guitars and amps. Learning pedal steel. Long time player on slide, guitar, harmonica
kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

Thanks Brian
Peter Funk

Post by Peter Funk »

What a great rendition of this song! Superb lapsteel playing and an excellent band. Thanks for posting
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this video
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Good sound for sure..note well done..(and knowing myself like I do there's a but), personally I'd like to hear it done no pedals. There's a feel that goes away when the phrases aren't done with just the bar and some strings. A minor criticism, at least I hope you take it that way, but for us that knew David and watched him work those lead sections I can hear it in the clip. Again, great tribute to a real innovator, well done.
kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

Jeff, you are correct sir! and to add, I'm playing through a amp modeler up there, no Dumble!
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Nice Kevin,

So what kind of volume pedal are you using? hehe
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

Thanks so much Bill. Definitely not an ernie ball!