MSA steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Heinze

Post by Michael Heinze »

Some time ago I sent an inquiry to MSA about spare parts for a pre-85 Steel. First to Mitchell, and then, 1 week later, another to Kyle. To date, I have not received a response or any sign of life from MSA.
I also find that a lack of communication is very bad, very annoying and not particularly trustworthy. No matter whether in a private or in a business context.
However, now that I have read all the posts on this topic here, I have a slightly better overview of the circumstances. And yes, of course it's true: Covid has messed up a lot in this world and cost many lives or, through long-term effects, permanently and seriously damaged many lives. In any case, this should be taken into account in everything that is currently happening.
Nevertheless ... if a new Steel sometimes - as I have seen here - lasts up to SIX years until you finally have it in front of you ... I find that extremely borderline. No ... more than borderline. That sounds like ordering a satellite (car) in the ehm. GDR ...
But what is also true: MSA Steels are irrevocably Rolls Royce ...

BTW ... The search for the availability of pre-85 parts is done. I have now found two addresses where I can find what I'm looking for ;-)
MSA Supersustain II, Vintage XL, D10, 8x4 (Build in 1979).
Lead- & back vocals, guitar (acoustic and electric), dobro, 5str-banjo, bass, piano, drums & percussions, mouthharp, accordion.
DAW Productions
Stephen Kuester

Post by Stephen Kuester »

Thanks for this post. I was seriously considering putting a deposit down on a new MSA. After reading this thread, there’s absolutely no way. Really, really appreciate you guys helping me dodge that bullet.
Mike Holder

Msa

Post by Mike Holder »

Even though I had some delays I highly encourage you to purchase an MSA, it’s the finest pedal steel I’ve played/owned since I got my Franklin in 94.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Personally I didn't have the time or money (or patience) to wait on a new MSA,,,so I was lucky enough to find a (like new) 2008 Studio Pro S12,,,less than 2/3 the price of new,,,,not a blemish anywhere on it,,,no difference between it and 2020 models that friends have,,,,looks to be designed and built by "micro-space" designers/builders. A work of art.
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

I echo Mike's comments above. I would have paid more and waited longer for the mechanical gem they made for me.

As an aside, I run my own business, and share in my wife's small family business. It is nearly impossible to provide the type of experience most people expect in this Amazon-age. We get up every day and try our best.

My experience with MSA was that they are trying. I hope everyone that chooses them has an equally good experience.

Sincerely,

David Spires
2021 MSA Legend XL 10&7; Asher Electro-Hawaiian Junior Lap Steel; '79 OMI Dobro 66 w/ Scheerhorn cone and setup; '64 Hand-wired Re-issue Fender Princeton Reverb
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I lucked out twice. I only had to wait 5 and 1/2 months when I got my purple Millennium, and when I bought the white one that I found on E-bay, I got it in 2 weeks.

The only advantage of the newer NSA guitars over my Millies is the L frets. I'd like to have them, but not enough to replace my Millies.

These are GREAT steels, I will keep them forever.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Buy used, no anguishing or waiting for your new instrument, As long as their not more than a new one would cost. Even a Pre 85 would be a fine investment. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Dan Lynch

Msa D10

Post by Dan Lynch »

Hi all,

Got this one to hold me over :D til 10-6 is available. Drove 2400 miles RT to pick this one up in Tampa area.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Dan Lynch wrote:
Kelcey ONeil wrote:A gentleman whose Emmons I serviced has been waiting nearly two years, with a promise date of under a year. He also stated Kyle is very difficult to get a hold of, and is not particularly professional. His reason for telling me this was he wanted to know if I had any suggestions for another steel, should he get his deposit back. He got something worked out with Kyle, but to my knowledge still hasn't received it.
ugghhh thanks for the info.
Absolute nonsense. Kyle Bennett is the epitome of professionalism. The fact that he is a very busy man is a reflection on how successful the MSA arm of his business is.

I have dealt with a number of steel guitar manufacturers over the years, and every one has been very professional in the way that they have dealt with me. The two standout owners so far have been Jeff Surratt (Show Pro) and Kyle Bennett (MSA). Their customer care and service is second to none.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I’d guess 2019-2022 Covid hysteria has probably something to do with problems we’re discussing here … I waited almost a year on my Legend and couldn’t be happier… Kyle and all the guys at MSA were very professional, and not a single one of my emails didn’t go without a reply from MSA … fantastic guitars, built by fantastic people…

Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

I had 2 guitars built for me during COVID. It took some extra time but the end result was worth the wait. As for Kyle and the staff at MSA………nicest most helpful bunch of guys in the world. Kyle went above and beyond in our dealings. May be time to order a new one……just saying.
Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

Sorry. Double post
Last edited by Dale McPherson on 8 Mar 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I hear it takes 2-3 years at least to get a custom built Jazz guitar, and it took several years to get a Bigsby steel when they first became popular. The supply chain has been atrocious the last few years. It has effected me and all I do is restorations and one off builds.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Damir Besic wrote:I’d guess 2019-2022 Covid hysteria has probably something to do with problems we’re discussing here … I waited almost a year on my Legend and couldn’t be happier… Kyle and all the guys at MSA were very professional, and not a single one of my emails didn’t go without a reply from MSA … fantastic guitars, built by fantastic people…
You are spot on Damir. Hope all is well with you buddy.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Ken Byng wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:I’d guess 2019-2022 Covid hysteria has probably something to do with problems we’re discussing here … I waited almost a year on my Legend and couldn’t be happier… Kyle and all the guys at MSA were very professional, and not a single one of my emails didn’t go without a reply from MSA … fantastic guitars, built by fantastic people…
You are spot on Damir. Hope all is well with you buddy.
hi Ken, all good here my friend, hope all is well across the pond in your neck of the woods as well