Milkman Pedal Steel Mini

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Corbin Pratt

Milkman Pedal Steel Mini

Post by Corbin Pratt »

Does anyone have experience with this amp? If so, what are your thoughts? I have the opportunity to grab one at a good price. I can't find and pedal steel demos online. I've had the half and half before and I liked it but preferred my Shaw amp.
CP in Nashville

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

If there is a down side to the compact, easy to carry Princeton size amp, it is the Princeton size amp. The Milkman sounded glorious through a Twin Reverb cabinet and speakers. My 40 watt Tone King Meteor sounded much bigger than the Mini in its own cabinet.
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

There are a few old threads about this.

Here's one:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... d2428d446b

Most people, me included, will tell you that it's a glorious amp and sounds like the very best fender you ever heard. Not quite black face but pretty close.

If the price is right and you can swing it then I'd get it. My guess is that it would be easy enough to unload if you didn't care for it.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

I like mine. I have an extension cab with a 15", sounds great. It also is a great amp for 6 string
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I use my Milkman mini for almost all recording work. It’s up there in the best amp ever category. I have a combo with a single 12” JBL D120. In the last year or so I use a milkman creamer also. The mini responds slightly differently from the creamer. It responds a bit quicker.

Milkman amps blew my vintage fenders out of the water. I sold all my black face amps and have no regrets.
Bob
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

It won't give you completely clean tone at high volume...I loved mine because it would allow me to run it flat out for solos in medium size clubs (volume pedal down) which pushed the final tubes into saturation and sounded like angels singing...if you mic it, of course, you get to decide how loud you make it...
Perfect balance between weight, tone and volume...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Corbin,
Looks like you know about tube amps already with the Shaw. I'm not familiar with those amps so I don't know how to compare them. The Milkman Mini has very little sag. It's clear and full sounding. Compared to the Half and half(I own and use both) it has more bite and clarity while also being more full and rich. The midrange is golden. It doesn't get strident like non tube steel amps. If the price is right check it out and then sell it it doesn't sing for you. The players I know that don't like the Milkman prefer the immediacy and piercing quality in the 2K range that solid state amps have. It does not have that mid range dip that is built into old Fender amps.
Bob
Corbin Pratt

Post by Corbin Pratt »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s super helpful. I think I’m gonna give it a try.
CP in Nashville

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper