Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Epperson

Strymon effects

Post by Ron Epperson »

Question,what is the best Strymon reverb and delay pedal to use for steel
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I have both the Brigadier and El Cap. They are both great, and you can't go wrong with either. There is something about the Brigadier though. It has this way of not muddying anything up or being distracting as you turn the mix up. It blends in very nicely.
That said, the new version 2 El Capistan is very appealing now that they put a dedicated spring reverb knob on it. I really like the blend of the internal spring with the delay on my El Cap, but I hardly ever use it bc it's hard to dial in perfectly on the fly.

If I had to pick 2 right now I'd go with the Brigadier and Blue Sky.
Ron Epperson

Strymon effects

Post by Ron Epperson »

Thanks Brett
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm very happy with all of my Strymon effects, especially the DIG:

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Timeline and Big Sky are my favorites but I’d love to get my hands on a Volante and/or Nightsky
Marty Holmes

Strymon

Post by Marty Holmes »

Volante,Flint,Brigadier,El Capistan.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

I'm with b0b, I've enjoyed all my Strymon pedals & power supplies. In fact, i really think Strymon makes the very best power supplies for effects, on the market today. I currently have the Strymon Zelzah on my board, it's soooooo kool especially on steel.

b0b, I notice you are using a couple of Strymon Ojai power supplies on your board. I had to upgrade to the Zuma power supplies for more outlets.So if you ever need one of these black power boxes for them, just hollar I have one you can have.

b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm all set, George. Thanks for the offer.

The Strymon power supplies like the Ojai use a separate transformer for each output, so there's no cross-talk at all. That was a problem I encountered with other brands.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

I've been using the Strymon Volante quite a bit. Once you figure it out it becomes incredibly musical. Sweet delays with a great spring reverb. I like the fact that there are no internal menu's to deal with. Just buttons and knobs:)
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Bruce Bouton wrote:I've been using the Strymon Volante quite a bit. Once you figure it out it becomes incredibly musical. Sweet delays with a great spring reverb. I like the fact that there are no internal menu's to deal with. Just buttons and knobs:)
I'd bet the Nightsky could yield some interesting experimental results.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Scott McRee

volante

Post by Scott McRee »

Bruce Bouton. Sent you a PM. Had some questions about the volante.
Bob have you played around with the el cap? Do you like the Dig more than el cap? Thanks!
Scott McRee

volante

Post by Scott McRee »

Bruce Bouton. Sent you a PM. Had some questions about the volante.
Bob have you played around with the el cap? Do you like the Dig more than el cap? Thanks!
GaryL

Strymon pedals

Post by GaryL »

My routing:
Guitar--Strymon Sunset-- (Hilton Volume) -- Timeline--Mobius--Big Sky--Amp.
Emmons LeGrande D-10
GFI Ultra D-10 keyless
Quilter SteelAire
Nathan Golub

Post by Nathan Golub »

I've used an El Capistan into a Flint for years. It's simple enough for a quick gig set up but has extra features to mess with and get weird. This is powered with a Cioks DC5, which has never had any issues. This doubles as a nice pedalboard for regular guitar, too.

Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

Timeline and Bigsky in the effects loop and Mobius is ahead of the amp input after the vol pedal. Bigsky is last in the loop.

Midi via Morningstar MC6. The MC6 is powered from the Strymon power supply via a midi cable from Telonics. (This is the cable that powers their Handy Patch. ).

Two things to note. Don’t plug the Morningstar in when the other end of the cable is attached to the G2, that is 24 volts. Use the Strymon 9 volt jack. Second,

The Morningstar has steering diodes so it doesn’t care which pin 6 or 7 in negative. Other midi controllers require the correct connections in the 7 pin DIN connector.

If you use Telonics amps, either turn them full wet or turn off the dry signals in Timeline and Bigsky, otherwise, you can get phase distortion.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

I am a big fan of the Strymon units. This is the board I currently use for Pedal Steel
Mullen G2 / Little Walter 89

Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Paul Awalt

Styron

Post by Paul Awalt »

Tim,What you line path between your guitar, effects, amp. Thanks.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Mullen G2 (D-10. 9/5) BL705 PUs > Telonics VP > Peterson Strobostomp Tuner > Hermida Zen Drive OD > Strymon Brigadier Delay > Strymon Blue Sky Reverb (plate or spring) > Little Walter 89 100W Amp > PF 350 open back speaker cabs

All connections with George L cable

Zero noise or degraded signal - sounds fantastic.
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Mark Perrodin

strymon

Post by Mark Perrodin »

i like my strymon pedals. they work great with anything, guitar, keyboard and steel. here is my set up.
i set it up to read left to right. the flint is great all by itself too.
Thomas Alexander

Post by Thomas Alexander »

I went with the Memory Man 1100-TT over the Brigadier. In my comparison the Brig sounded like it was echoing in a bigger space, as if there was always a touch of hall reverb on the decay. Very cool sound, but I just didn't want that on as default. The MM is a similar feature set but has the option to be a much drier delay if need be. I pretty much just set it and forget it on a subtle echo to give my tone a bit more body.

Would like to get some of the larger digital effects units for making some ethereal sounds. There are so many options though it's hard to decide!

My current chain is GFI Ultra -> Goodrich 120 -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Memory Man -> Milkman The Amp 100 -> TT12 in a Mojotone Lite cab
George Seymour

Re: Strymon effects

Post by George Seymour »

Ron Epperson wrote:Question,what is the best Strymon reverb and delay pedal to use for steel
Just got the Strymon "Cloudburst"...sounds great
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
C. D. Maclean

Post by C. D. Maclean »

I quite like Strymon pedals myself!

Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Whoa! Nice.... you should buy stock in the company.
Brian McCulloch

Post by Brian McCulloch »

C. D. Maclean wrote:I quite like Strymon pedals myself!

Hi C.D. Wow what a killer setup. Looks like you are sending your steel through your eurorack gear?

Also what is that fascinating little joystick box on tour steel?
C. D. Maclean

Post by C. D. Maclean »

Hi Brian
The joystick is to make up for the fact my feet are busy on other things. Mainly to work the looper but also can do stuff like change Leslie speed or put the delay into mad feedback. Quite easy these days as almost all pedals use a simple short to ground on a footswitch so not a difficult hack. When looping I found a flick to the right was a usable move to get my loops in time whilst still being able to pluck. Works 90% of the time…..

Here’s what it sounds like.

https://calummaclean.bandcamp.com/album/colour-of-stars

Cheers