"WESTERN EDGE" Country Rock Pedal Steel Panel 10.2.22

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fish

"WESTERN EDGE" Country Rock Pedal Steel Panel 10.2.22

Post by Fish »

On October 2, 2022 I had the honor of moderating a panel discussion about LA country rock pedal steel with three of my heroes: Dan Dugmore, Al Perkins, and JayDee Maness. The discussion was tied to the grand opening of the Country Music Hall of Fame's superb "Western Edge: The Roots and Reverberations of LA Country Rock" exhibit, now open at the museum.

The CMHOF posted a link to the panel discussion today:
https://watch.countrymusichalloffame.or ... ssion-2023

I'd like to thank JayDee, Dan and Al for their time and personal insights. Thanks also to the Hall of Fame for curating and presenting this incredible exhibit. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Steve Fishell
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Thanks for sharing Steve - Certainly one for the history books!
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Diane Diekman

Post by Diane Diekman »

There is a companion book that goes with the exhibit, jointly published by the University of Illinois Press and the Country Music Foundation Press. Here's my review: http://internetreviewofbooks.blogspot.c ... music.html
Diane Diekman
Sioux Falls SD
Author of "Live Fast, Love Hard: The Faron Young Story"
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Steve, this is so great….. thanks. What a treat to hear from these three giants of pedal steel. If Rusty had still been with us, I can picture him there as well. Quite the acknowledgment of Poco’s influence on the “Western Edge”. Must have been satisfying for Richie to see.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

Thanks for posting. My favorite part is at the 1 hour mark when Dan Dugmore talks about asking Sneaky Pete "Tell me how it's tuned and what the pedals do" and Sneaky Pete replies "Well, when you step on the first two pedals it goes up a 90 degree angle and then if you put the bar at the 7th fret that's a 180."
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

thanks so much Steve... I've been waiting for this to surface. I was so close to dropping everything and going to this event, this is the next best thing.

what a rare opportunity to hear from 3 outstanding players, each one so unique and influential. also nice to hear the other greats from that era acknowledged: Buddy, Sneaky, Rusty, Red, Tom, and more.

I'd sure love to see more steel-focused discussions at the CMHOF and elsewhere. Lloyd deserves an event all to himself, Sonny Garrish too. and the list goes on
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Thanks Steve! I thoroughly enjoyed that. It’s a shame Rusty was not still here to weigh in. He was the reason I was drawn to the pedal steel back in the day .i appreciate what you are doing to bring the history of the great west coast players to the forefront.
Dale
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Wow, awesome! Thanks so much, Steve!
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

What a wonderful presentation - thank you Fish and the CMHOF.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Thanks, Steve, for hosting and posting this event. I just love learning all this history of the music I listened to in my youth that drew me to steel guitar. All these gentlemen are such wonderful and amazing players and it is so interesting to hear their stories.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

scott murray wrote:I'd sure love to see more steel-focused discussions at the CMHOF and elsewhere. Lloyd deserves an event all to himself, Sonny Garrish too. and the list goes on
Scott, do a search and there is an excellent Nashville Cat interview with Sonny. Maybe we’ll see Lloyd some day.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Steve; that was just incredible and so capturing of the great musical spirits of those three: JayDee; Al and Dan.
Wow; thank you, thank you, thank you for doing that.

Ricky(My first pedal steel teacher was Tom Brumley)
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
tom anderson

Post by tom anderson »

Thanks so much for posting this. Although I attended the event, i was unable to see this panel it was as good as I imagined. I’m also struck by Steve and Dougs comments on Rusty Young and Sneaky Pete. The first time i ever saw a pedal steel was Sneaky with the FBB. I knew I had to have one then. A few months later I got to see Rusty with Poco and later Bobby Black with Commander Cody All of them were encouraging to me when I spoke to them. It’s refreshing to hear so many other steel players being influenced by this group!
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Steve, I'm glad you mentioned Red Rhodes near the end of the panel (and moreso that he got applause) - I thought I had read somewhere that Jay Dee used to sneak into the Palomino just to hear and watch Red play, and I have to think they were somewhat close over time. I was fully expecting Red to be one of the top 3 influences that he would list...though he had a pretty darn good list (hah!).
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Rick Bernauer wrote:Thanks for posting. My favorite part is at the 1 hour mark when Dan Dugmore talks about asking Sneaky Pete "Tell me how it's tuned and what the pedals do" and Sneaky Pete replies "Well, when you step on the first two pedals it goes up a 90 degree angle and then if you put the bar at the 7th fret that's a 180."
That's what finally got me playing 8-string, 9 pedal B6 steel after so many glitches with E9. Pete spent about 45 minutes after a Burritos show explaining everything in geometric terms; weirdly, even though I am certifiably "math phobic" (yes,it's a real thing !), I sort of grasped what he was saying...

...and when I got a 400 and tuned it to B6 the world suddenly made sense!
:eek:
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

I’m a long way from the exhibition but I’ve been enjoying the book and the panel discussion was great - thanks Steve!