Selling two steels, but where do I go?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Parker Brown

Selling two steels, but where do I go?

Post by Parker Brown »

I am wanting to take a trip this spring/summer to sell two pedal steels I have so I can consolidate into one, but I live in Billings, MT--far away from anything pedal steel. I am also trying to sell two upright basses so I was thinking of heading West to Seattle or California, but could go East to Kansas City or south to Denver as well. I am wondering if anyone has any information of a special shop that does trade or consignment on the way to any of those locations, I would greatly appreciate it! The two steels are a Zum Steel double neck from the early 80s and a Zum Encore.
Thank you!
Parker Brown
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Did you check with Greg Boyd's house of music in Missoula? They sell acoustic/bluegrass instruments and might take the basses on consignment. They sell resonator guitars so they might even take the steels. They list things nationally so there is a chance of good exposure there.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

why not list the steels for sale here on the forum? they will probably sell fast, as Zums tend to do.

I lived in Kalispell, MT for a short time back in the early 90s and I recall seeing several steels for sale in the newspapers there. I also saw my first pedal steel in action at a Vassar Clements show in Troy... wish I knew the player's name.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

People seem a lot less inclined to deal with shipping nowadays. I can’t say I blame them at all. I don’t want to ship anything much bigger/heavier than a stomp box, very small amp, or a lap steel.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

plenty of forum sellers who won't ship and a lot of us are willing to drive a good distance to avoid any possible damage by shipping, as is the seller in this case.

selling on Reverb is another option, shipping is not required. you might also try Facebook marketplace (lots of steel groups on fb), Craigslist, etc
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Scott, It could of been Julian Thorpe?? I think they did some touring together. Julian played a 12 string and was way ahead of his time. I can only guess at what they would sound like.
I saw Julian with Ray Price at Panther Hall in Ft Worth long ago. Of course Price would not let him get away from the Price sound but he did let him loose to do a solo. Awesome. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Chris Grigsby

Post by Chris Grigsby »

I would be interested in the Zum Encore and am in Denver.

Best,
Chris
Mullen Discovery S10, Hilton VP, Kemper Profiler Head and Kabinet.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

thanks JR. I'm pretty sure the band was all area musicians and Vassar flew in solo. I also think I'd remember if it was Julian... what a monster he was!

sorry for veering a bit off topic, Parker ;-)
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

If you've got the right Zum I could drive to MT. In any case the forum is the place to sell them.
Parker Brown

thank you!

Post by Parker Brown »

I'd love to sell them here on the forum, but I am hesitant due to the fact that I'd also like to play a few steels in a trusted shop or seller and bring one back home with me. I also have two upright basses that I need to off load and those have to go to a bigger market like Seattle or KC or somewhere with some shops or more players/$ so I was hoping to kill two birds (really four birds) with one stone. I appreciate all the advice so far and even have some interest in purchases on the forum just from this post, so maybe that is the way to go. I've got options now. What a fantastic community!
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Might be worth a trip to Oceanside California to visit Jim palenscars’s shop.
Bob
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Or better yet go to the Dallas steel show in March.
Bob
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Send me info on the double basses at Hammond Ashley Violins hammondashley21@gmail.com

Look up Patrick Timmons at Ten String Sad Machine in Seattle for the Steels patrick@tenstringsadmachine.com

Might make a trip to Seattle worthwhile

Bryce
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Parker Brown

Post by Parker Brown »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Might be worth a trip to Oceanside California to visit Jim palenscars’s shop.
that's a dream trip for me for sure!
Parker Brown

Post by Parker Brown »

Bryce Van Parys wrote:Send me info on the double basses at Hammond Ashley Violins hammondashley21@gmail.com

Look up Patrick Timmons at Ten String Sad Machine in Seattle for the Steels patrick@tenstringsadmachine.com

Might make a trip to Seattle worthwhile

Bryce
This is exactly what I was looking for! I purchased one of these from HA so I was hoping there was a steel connection in Seattle. Thank you!
Edited: I just realized... I bought my Paesold bass from YOU! I'll be in touch.
Best,
Parker
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Re: the basses. I agree with the above post, Greg Boyd in Missoula would be a good place to sell those.

Also check the schedule for events with the Montana Rockies Bluegrass Association. It seems that someone in that crowd is always looking for stand up basses for sale. I know of several players that I’ll mention it to. If you took them to an event, you might sell them on the spot.
https://www.mtbluegrass.com/

As far as steels go….here in classifieds is a great place. Probably the best place IMO.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Patrick Timmins

Post by Patrick Timmins »

Hi Parker.

Patrick here. The guy with the shop in Seattle. Bryce was one of my first customers when I finally opened up. New and used with service and repair with a full machine and fab shop.

I play upright as well :D

I have 8 or so for sale at the moment. 5 others that are not for sale if you want to sit behind a bunch of different guitars. They are all very different (except 3 of them are Emmons push pulls). Let me know what you are looking for. Working at being a pedal steel resource up here in the NW since there is nothing for a 1300 mile radius.

There is also Steel Guitars of North County in San Diego. Looks like his inventory is at 13 PSGs currently. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Patrick.
Microphones, Recording, and lots of pedal steel guitars!
David Laveau

Re: Selling two steels, but where do I go?

Post by David Laveau »

Parker Brown wrote:I am wanting to take a trip this spring/summer to sell two pedal steels I have so I can consolidate into one, but I live in Billings, MT--far away from anything pedal steel. I am also trying to sell two upright basses so I was thinking of heading West to Seattle or California, but could go East to Kansas City or south to Denver as well. I am wondering if anyone has any information of a special shop that does trade or consignment on the way to any of those locations, I would greatly appreciate it! The two steels are a Zum Steel double neck from the early 80s and a Zum Encore.
Thank you!
Parker Brown
Denver doesn't really have great brick and mortar shops for PSG any more... From what I've read, seems that not to long ago it was much different

Sorry for the report, but alas - tis what it tis
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Sorry to say I must agree. There are a lot of players here but no one who to my knowledge has actually hung out his shingle. Wish there were. :cry: