EPS speaker

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobby Harris

EPS speaker

Post by Bobby Harris »

Has anyone used a eps 12 inch speaker for pedal steel and if so what do you thank about it for steel guitar. Ty
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I tried one. I was using an EPS-15C and assumed it was a 12" version. I didn't have any luck with it for Pedal Steel, my thought was it would make a great speaker for Tele twang.
I tried it in a 12" speaker enclosure and in a Nashvile 112 amp.

Eminence discontinued it after a short period and now the Travis Toy Double T12 is their "flagship" 12" Pedal Steel speaker.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I, unfortunately, did not grab some of these before they disappeared. But I tried a guy's amp with one in it, and it sounded great to me. Now, my standard of tone for a steel speaker is a JBL D120F, but the weight and light power handling capability are issues. But that is apparently what they were going for with these - a lightweight JBL that can handle a lot of power.

Anyway - there are some people that really like these. E.g.,

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=266727

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3057317

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264657

Of course, different players are looking for different things. And the amp, cabinet, and everything else in the signal chain matters. Often a lot.

The complaint I hear is that these are bright. Yup, and I find it easier to tame a little extra brightness than add it when it isn't there.

I have found some good alternatives to this speaker. But I didn't really understand why they stopped production.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I was told, by a person involved in development of this speaker, it was modeled after the Peavey 1201 BW speaker. The 1201, as far as I know, was never used as a steel guitar speaker. The 1203 BW was used in the 12" Nashville speaker cabinets (what Jeff Newman used).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yes, and the Black Widows were designed to replace the JBL speakers that were blowing in 70s Peavey amps. I like everything about Black Widows except the weight specifically because they retain many of the good qualities of the JBLs.

A lot of pedal steel players prefer 15" speakers. So it doesn't surprise me that many pedal steel players find these a bit treble-heavy and maybe a little less bass-heavy. Generally, other things being equal, I prefer a 12" speaker, and I know I'm not alone. I find the sound a little tighter, and it also makes it more likely that I can use a guitar with the same amp.

Probably the only way someone can tell if they'd like the speaker is to try one in the particular amp or cabinet they're dealing with. I find the speaker match to the amp/cab is very important.
Bobby Harris

EPS speaker

Post by Bobby Harris »

Good info Jack and Dave ty.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

It seems that some newer solid state amps and New Speakers need heavier Cables to control high treble.

I could not get tone I wanted out of an Evans AH200 or Quilter TB 202 and Eminence EPS-15 C, Using George L .155 cables,
I went to D'Addario .240 cables and that changed the sound and treble.
Now I can adjust amp and get sound I want.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I had a pair of the 15C speakers for a while. Then bought a pair of 12C installed in individual matching cabinets. Using the Revelation with a stereo Crown class D rack amp and getting the best tone I've ever had. Band members and other musicians complimented the tone. They are also amazed at the full tone of the 12C speakers in the smaller cabinets. I sold the 15C speakers. I get plenty of clean bottom end and tweak the highs with the Freeloader. The frequency graphs are similar between the 12C and TT12. The TT12 handles a little more power. If you can find a 12C, I'd get it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Karl Nutt

Post by Karl Nutt »

I installed a EPS 12 in my Nashville 112. It’s definitely better sounding than the stock speaker.