Any thoughts on the Paul Franklin Method?

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Tschantz

Any thoughts on the Paul Franklin Method?

Post by Rick Tschantz »

I'm a beginner wanting to learn the pedal steel guitar. I signed up for on-line lessons offered by Paul Franklin. Any thoughts on whether this is a good course? Is it a good way to start off as a beginner? Any other alternatives to learning to play? I have no musical background but really want to play this instrament.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Paul's course is great. I joined when I first started playing recently. There are a number of excellent free sources if you just want to get started without a huge money commitment at first.

1. Steel Picking is excellent https://www.youtube.com/@SteelPicking

2. Here is an index to Mickey Adams lessons. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=182789
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Welcome , Rick!

You’ll definitely be challenged by choosing the pedal steel as your first instrument, but it can be done with focused studying. “Seat Time” is the key, meaning spend as much time as you can at the instrument. There’s plenty for beginners to learn away from it as well. We recommend you spend some time early on in the RESOURCES section and study the lessons on Basic Music Theory as that knowledge is crucial.

Be cautious trying to learn licks and songs too soon, your initial time will be better spent (at a beginner’s level) getting the physical aspects of playing together. Licks will always be there later, a solid technique and playing in tune is the first step.

Be sure to join the Facebook Group where you can ask Paul any questions and get help if you get stuck.
Rick Tschantz

Post by Rick Tschantz »

Thank you Tom and Bill for your quick responses. I really appreciate the added links Bill. I understand there is a lot of music theory and memorizing I need to grasp away from the instrament so I'll just take my time. Thanks.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

No better way to learn than Paul's course. I wish something similar had been available when I learned many moons ago. I suggest you also learn some music theory. Otherwise you'll miss a lot of context on many of the lessons.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The music theory isn't overwhelming. Here are the important parts for a steel guitarist:

1. Learn the Nashville number system. I wish I had known about this when I started: Chas Williams has a wonderful book on it.

2. Learn how to construct a major scale. Learn how chords are constructed from the major scale.

3. Learn the intervals of your neck.

4. Memorize the circle of 5ths.

If you know the above, you'll be in good shape.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

For those interested in learning more about Music Theory as it is applied to the pedal steel, click the link below for a FREE online eBook.

Just set up an account to access. If you already have an account, follow the instructions at "checkout" and it will be added to your existing Student Dashboard: Intervals: Learning The Language Of Music

Last edited by Tom Spaulding on 18 Feb 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

It is a great course. Paul is a great teacher. Its not just good for beginners , but even for people that have been playing awhile. You don't just learn how to do something, but why it works. You can't go wrong getting this course, especially if you are a beginner.
Rick Tschantz

Post by Rick Tschantz »

Thank you Mike. I've heard nothing but good things about the course so I'm confident to go forward and study it well. I appreciate your input.
Rick Tschantz

Post by Rick Tschantz »

And thank you Steve for your thoughts also. Looks like I'm on the right track.
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

I'm a lifelong professional musician, and lifelong learner. (degree in Classical/jazz double bass). I came to PSG in 2021 and started out on the Franklin courses, in addition to several other transcriptions for the gigs I was preparing for. I can say that these course are very valuable, and I warm up every morning with a chosen Permutation from the course (with metronome!), and a new lick or lesson from a Franklin course, just to set my day off right and keep up on the technique and repertoire. Well worth the investment, so long as you do the time (and use your metronome!!)
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

I'll second the learning music theory suggestion. It's imperative due to how many permutations exist on the PSG to play chords and their various voicings.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Rick Tschantz

Post by Rick Tschantz »

I really appreciate the responses I'm getting. I'm steeped in the music theory at the moment. It may take quite a while to get to instrament.
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a great resource for a deep dive into Music Theory info, both Basic and Advanced. He has an engaging style and a player/teacher's command of the material.

Rick Beato Music Theory Videos