Carter S-10 Split Tuning Rod to Which Bell Crank?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Hutzler

Carter S-10 Split Tuning Rod to Which Bell Crank?

Post by Paul Hutzler »

I'm trying to add a split tuning on my Carter S-10. The split tuning is a common one.
6th string
1. B pedal, G# to A
2. RKL, G# to F#
3. B pedal and RKL together G# to G
I've read a lot about setting up a split tuning on SGF and elsewhere but the one piece of information I'm missing is this:
I'm going to add a rod for the split tuning. Which bell crank does it attach to? The B pedal bell crank or the RKL bell crank? Or maybe even a new one? Thank you.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

It goes from the knee lever bellcrank to the raise finger of string 6. The same crank that is sending the lowering rod is also sending a raise rod (that will be tuned at the nylon nut to ever so slightly raise the string on the lower, alone, with no B pedal, while it is lowering it)
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Thank you, Jon. That worked... I want to set up another split tuning.
5th string
A pedal: B to C#
X lever: B to Bb
A + X : B to C
Do I add a rod to the A pedal bell crank or do I add a rod to the X lever bell crank?

I'm thinking the rule might be that the new rod will attach to the bellcranks pulls the string the furthest distance, the A pedal, B to C# bell crank. Right?
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp