Rerodding my Carter s12

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Brian Henry

Rerodding my Carter s12

Post by Brian Henry »

I am in the process of rerodding my Carter s12, and. I have some questions.

I have all the pull rods threads. Am I supposed to tighten the nylon tuners to cover all the threads?

Before putting on the strings are all the pull bars supposed to be vertical?

How do I adjust the small black screws in the front frame that determine pedal,travel?

Many thanks,

Brian
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

If you don't cover the threads you might hear/feel the threads as they go through the changer scissors and the pedal stops utilize a set screw that requires an allen wrench to adjust.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thank you Jim. What’s the best way to cut back the rods a bit once they are in place. I was thinking a dremel.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I bought this old D12 body and some rails from reverb . I plan to cut it down into an s12 and recover it with red sparkle

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I utilize 2 ways to remove the threads if necessary-either take them down w a 3M Scotchbrite wheel (basically grind them down) or use a small spacer to cover them. The latter method will cause the tuning nut to stick out a titch.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thank you Jim.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Here is the body cut down to an s12 size with 2 s12 endplates which I found.

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Those endplates look like old MSA end plates. Some people called it a 3/4 body. That little flat makes a nice place to put a small pad for comfort.
Good Luck in your build.bj
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thanks Bobby, I got the endplates from Al Brisco in Canada. They are Carter endplates. All has a lot of new Carter parts.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Well, I now have covered the bare wood body with red sparkle and installed the S12 changer. IAM keeping the protector paper on until IAM through.

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I have completed the rodding on my Carter S12. Just lots of fine adjustments to be done once I get the strings on. I can’t get that until the keyhead arrives.
I’m just going with 4 pedals and two levers to begin with but plan to add two more levers. It was a pleasure to use the replacement bones from Bill Lipscomb.

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I have completed the rodding on my Carter S12. Just lots of fine adjustments to be done once I get the strings on. I can’t get that until the keyhead arrives.
I’m just going with 4 pedals and two levers to begin with but plan to add two more levers. It was a pleasure to use the replacement bones from Bill Lipscomb.

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Latest picture of my Carter S12 self build. Just waiting for an S12 keyhead to complete it. I do have a spare s 10 keyhead featured in the picture.

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA