Tricone opinions please

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

What's a "mushroom mod"?
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:What's a "mushroom mod"?
Removing the middle neck stick support, that leaves two, and move the neck one toward the end of the fretboard. I and many others think it enhances the tone.
Lee Holliday

Post by Lee Holliday »

Here is the inner guts of the Dobro tricone I had a while ago, in all honesty Dobro never properly finished the guitar much beyond prototype and it was batting well below it's ability, none the less an interesting piece to have had pass though the revolving door, I remain with my 36 Tricone which is a lovely and even rarer beast.

Lloyd Graves

Post by Lloyd Graves »

That looks nice. I want some sort of tricone eventually.

Out of curiosity, who makes metal-bodied, square neck tricones at this point? High end and economy models. And what are the main differences?

Also, are there any 7-string tricones out there? Actual 7-strings,I mean, not retrofitted.

Thanks
Lee Holliday

Post by Lee Holliday »

NRP have the capacity to make a hollowneck, Mule have done a few but not in the traditional style but interesting. A glorious alternative is Fine Resophonic in Paris, Mike Lewis is renowned as one of the top builders. There may be some options also in New Zealand with Russ Matsen or maybe some other bespoke builders that do not come to mind at the moment. I remain happy with my 36 Tricone as there are still some lovely vintage ones out there
Mike Harris

tricones

Post by Mike Harris »

I love tricones, had a roundneck Republic and traded up to a National. I want a squareneck but I am only playing 8 strings with a bar these days. Are there any 8-string squareneck tricones out there?