What order do i put these in and do i need both?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael M Smith

What order do i put these in and do i need both?

Post by Michael M Smith »

I'm pretty new to the PSG world and i have been listening to David Hartley on Youtube and he is quite amazing to me. I have watched his videos in detail and he uses from what i can tell a Boss RV and a Boss DD. My question is. From the Steel I would presume the first stop is the Hilton Volume Pedal and then what? The Boss RV or DD? Do i need both? i bought both based on his Youtube videos but after reading some articles some are only using one of those. Then from the Boss effects i have a Peavey NV112. Do i need to use Reverb on that amp if i have those two effects in line?

Thanks ahead of time!!!
Mike
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Are you an experienced player? Because if you're not, extra gizmos won't help you to sound like Dave. (Just use the amp reverb.) But if you're already a good player, you can try using the steel-volume pedal-delay-reverb setup. (I think that's how most players would do it.)
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

Sorry Donny, if I don't quite agree. I think if you already have reverb and delay separated, I would suggest. Steel- Delay-Volume Pedal-Reverb-Amp. The quality and handling of the delay before the volume pedal is very audible! I wish a happy day! :D
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

I go first to Volume Pedal then to Delay then to Reverb but you might want to take a look at this:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... f996a6e6b1
Mullen G2, Hilton VP, Fender Tone Master Delux Reverb, Keeley Caverns V2 Delay & Reverb
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

If you're using an NV112 try this:

Steel straight to input 1

Volume pedal to pre-EQ patch("send" to VP in,VP out to "Return").

Post EQ "send" to DD in,DD mono out to post EQ return and use the internal reverb. Alternatively, post EQ send to DD mono in, DD mono out to RV in,RV out to Post EQ return.

BTW if you use the pre-EQ patch for your volume pedal it doesn't add highs as you open the VP up and doesn't lose highs as you back it off. I really, REALLY wish more amp builders would follow Peavey's lead and have pre and post EQ patches.
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

I put delay and reverb after the volume pedal. However, there is some subjectivity involved. Experiment with the order, and go with what sounds good to you.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,