Bruce Zumsteg’s Book

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Leo Grassl

Bruce Zumsteg’s Book

Post by Leo Grassl »

I am currently reading Bruce’s book, My Life and the Steel Guitar, for the second time. It is a beautifully written book. You get the impression that Bruce is right there reading it to you. His story of determination and passion for playing and building steel guitars while remaining a family man is both humbling and inspiring.
I’ve heard the book is no longer in print? I hope they make some more so more folks can read it.

Leo Grassl
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

It's an inspirational read, and it's a shame the print run was so short. It appears to be self published - I wonder if Bruce could be persuaded to do some more?
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

I enjoyed that book myself.This instrument has a neat history for sure.
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

Someone emailed me about this thread and I deleted it before reading it by accident. Please try me again if you wish.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Perhaps Bruce would allow one of us to convert it to a pdf and distribute it for free or donation if he doesn't intend to publish it again.
Bob Jennings

Bruce Zumsteg's Book

Post by Bob Jennings »

Bruce is not only an excellent writer and pedal steel builder, he IS a very fancy Pedal Steeler!!! I couldn't put his Book down once I started reading it, and his CD is excellent listening.

Bob Jennings
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

Interesting idea there Greg. If Bruce would register it as an ebook then it could be available on Kindle etc and he could still get money for it : )
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Anyone know where I could buy a copy of Bruce’s book? Thanks
Edward Efira

Post by Edward Efira »

I bought mine directly from Bruce.
<small><b>'75 Sho-Bud 4&4, '01 Zumsteel 8&8, 2012 Zum Hybrid 4&6</b></small>
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I’ve read the book three times. It seems that I take away some more insight every time I read it. Short story about Bruce the player. Working with the audio/video recording crew at the ISGC in St. Louis every year, we would always go into the hall early every morning to get all of the gear up and running. One morning I heard some of the most beautiful playing I’ve ever heard. No one was on stage, and looking around the room, there was Bruce playing at his table. If you can find them, get the book and CD.
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

Thanks for the kind words guys! About a year ago, I sold out of the last supply that I had, and by that time, the number of requests for books had diminished considerably, and I couldn't justify purchasing the required order quantity. I recently checked with the supplier, and their costs have gone up nearly 30%, plus the high cost of shipping to get them to me. I may look into offering it as an ebook, but I don't know if there would be enough interest to justify that either. Thanks again. ZUM
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Bruce

Thanks for chiming in here.

While I love physical books (and have shelves'-full), the reality is that either Kindle or e-books suit me better because of some deterioration in my vision.

I bought a hard copy of the Buddy biography but actually read it via Kindle. If you would consider that option, I'd be delighted.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I also read Buddy's biography on my Kindle.
Would be interested in an E- version (Kindle) of Bruce's biography.
Diane Diekman

Post by Diane Diekman »

Bruce, since you own the copyright, you can post it yourself on Kindle. I put my three memoirs on there, and I don't remember it costing me anything. You also probably have the manuscript pretty much ready to go, which makes it mostly cut and paste. Amazon takes most of the money you make off it, of course, but you do get a little bit, and it will be out there for those who want to read it.
Diane Diekman
Sioux Falls SD
Author of "Live Fast, Love Hard: The Faron Young Story"
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

count me in for an e-book.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Thanks for all the info, and count me in for an ebook as well.
Roy Heap

Post by Roy Heap »

I also would like a copy please if it was possible.
Crying shame to lose it!
Murray McDowall

Post by Murray McDowall »

I would really love a copy also Bruce, as the proud owner of a D10 9x8 Zumsteel.
'99 Zum D-10 9x8,
'64 L Series "P" Bass,
Peavey Session 500,
Telonics TCA-500C & FP-100D pedal.
Steelers Choice Sidekick & Backrest.
Steelers Choice Seat.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Another option to investigate would be a "print-on-demand" arrangement. You upload your book to the printing outfit, and after the necessary arrangements are in place any time someone wants a copy, they send their money to that company, the copy gets printed and mailed, and you get your stipulated amount. This avoids the author having to buy hundreds of copies and then trip over boxes of unsold books for the rest of his/her life.

Maybe someone on here has actually been through that process and could offer us a bit more insight on how it works.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

I used a Print On Demand company for the original book. I'm currently checking with them on the details of offering it direct to the buyer, and also as an Ebook. However, from what I understand on their web site, the cost of printing each hard copy individually will make it rather pricey for the customer. If anything develops on this, I'll post it.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I would definitely purchase an ebook
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Bruce Zumsteg wrote:I used a Print On Demand company for the original book. I'm currently checking with them on the details of offering it direct to the buyer, and also as an Ebook. However, from what I understand on their web site, the cost of printing each hard copy individually will make it rather pricey for the customer. If anything develops on this, I'll post it.
Thanks Bruce! Sounds like you are already on it before I brought it up.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.