Ron "Euro" Erwin, RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Herb Steiner

Ron "Euro" Erwin, RIP

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ron Erwin, a native of Hobbs NM but a longtime resident of Central Texas, a good friend, a Texas legendary drummer, a remarkable man and my neighbor here in Briarcliff TX passed away Jan 19 after a very short battle with an aggressive cancer.

Ron held down the groove for me whether I was playing with Alvin Crow, the Troubadillos, or my own Herb Steiner Quintet, with just the right feel and with subtle but meaningful chops; to me he was the Ringo Starr of country, swing, or rock 'n roll One of his several nicknames was "Ringo" in fact. For several years he was the onstage drummer for the Non-Pedal Room performers at the TSGA Jamboree, and was the regular percussionist for his good friend and our neighbor here in Briarcliff TX, legendary songwriter Sonny Throckmorton.

Another good one bites the dust. Sad day indeed.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I'm very sad to hear that. Ron was a sweet man, and I enjoyed hanging with him at the TSGA and playing with him in the non-pedal room. A very sad day. Thanks for letting us know Herb.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

This hurts... while Ron and I often didn't see eye-to-eye politically he had a big heart and great humor... and knew everybody... surprised to learn he and Steve Palousek were runnin' buddies back in the day. He was a master of the brushes and porch-board upstairs at the Jamboree... we were privileged to have him for several years up there.

Here's the announcement from the FB Uncle Walt's Band page:

Uncle Walt's Band

We were saddened to learn that our friend Ron Erwin (Ron Euro on FB) passed away this morning after a short battle with cancer. Along with Dave Heath, Ron held down the rhythm section for the Threadgills Troubadours and played drums with Uncle Walt’s Band during the early 90’s reunion shows, including their last shows at Aqua Fest and Waterloo Ice House in 1993. Ron played drums recently at the new release celebration of the Supper Sessions boxset at Saxon Pub. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends. Godspeed.(photo by Butch Hancock)

New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Steve Palousek

Post by Steve Palousek »

Ron and I played all over New Mexico one summer.
There are some stories that could be told! I'm really
going to miss him.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed hanging out with him in the non-pedal room, at the TSGA show. He always made me smile.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Here's a link to the Austin Chronicle obit... has a bit more about Ron. I wasn't aware he was a grandpa, for instance.

https://obituaries.austinchronicle.com/ ... 1087079464
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329