My eight-string PSG is coming home!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Boadle

My eight-string PSG is coming home!

Post by Tony Boadle »

After a few years of seller's remorse, I've finally tracked down the Guyatone eight string PSG I sold a few years ago. The buyer has agreed to a buy-back, happy days.
I can't fully recall the tuning and copedent I had settled on, I think it was the top eight of E9TH, there's three pedals and one knee lever(which I added myself).
I could add a second knee lever if it's going to be really useful, so advice please on the best tuning and copedent for 3+1 and possibly 3+2 on an eight string. Basic country music, nothing fancy, recreational use only btw.
Thanks in advance as always.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Hi, Tony.

My preference:

If there's only one knee, lower the E-strings a half-tone.

If there are two, lower the E's on one lever... and raise the E's a half-tone on the other.

But I'm torn about that 2nd lever... because, besides raising the E's, lowering the 2nd string a half-tone to "D" is a core change too.

If you had 3x3 to get all of the above, that would cover all the bread-and-butter changes. But you can certainly get by with 1 knee lever if you are creative and know where to find chords and intervals.
Tony Boadle

Post by Tony Boadle »

A reply at last! Thanks, Tucker. Advice appreciated and noted.
Just checking, are we talking the top or bottom eight of the ten strings?
Tony Boadle

Post by Tony Boadle »

I think I just worked it out...you say 'lowering the second string a half to e to D' means the second string is D#, so it must be the lower eight strings you're talking about?