Time for me to retire.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Thanks so much Bob for your tireless efforts on our behalf.... it's been a wonderful resource for all of us out here in the South pacific wilderness...
Enjoy your retirement mate :-}
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

I want to add my thanks for creating my favorite place to go on the internet. Also, for introducing me to the A over E lap steel tuning that continues to be my go-to for 6 string laps. Happy Retirement!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Ha! I thought this was your retirement! ;-)

I've been enjoying this forum for well over 20 yrs when there were only a few thousand members. Your efforts have been greatly appreciated. I'd be lying if I said I'm not sorry to see you relinquish the reins here.

I have found you to be fair minded, even handed and tolerant...qualities that speak not only to your administrative skills but as a human being as well.

I'm glad to see you have family members involved. We welcome and wish them well.

The forum has seen some changes as expected with the addition of so many members from so many walks of life.

I'm hoping for the best, yet the future remains to be seen.

In any event, I would like to congratulate you on your retirement and hope you are able to enjoy whatever endeavors are to come.
Lynn Stafford

Retirement

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Congratulations to you, b0b on your much deserved retirement! I would hope you are able to enjoy whatever endeavors are to come.

You will certainly be missed by me and many, many others, but I trust that the Forum will be in good hands, thanks to your plans for the future.

I really have been appreciative of being a member for many years, and I've referred many others to join. I probably would not have been so involved with the Steel Guitar Community have it not been for your Forum!
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Jonathan Scherer

Post by Jonathan Scherer »

Thank you b0b, so very much for starting this site and keeping it going with continuous improvements for so many years.

There is a heep of treasure here for steel guitar players to learn from and share.

One of my favorites is buying strings at the SGF store. . .

It is great it will continue with motivated admins and family.

Thanks for the resource and best wishes for a fabulous retirement!

J
1948 National Dynamic, 1953 Oahu Tonemaster,cheap Aiersi Weissenborn, Hambro custom square neck reso, Carvin X-60A, Fender Acoustasonic 30
and 10, Roland Cube Street
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

Thanks from me Bob for such an invaluable resource. I've learned, bought and sold on this forum. You've made a huge difference to the global steel guitar community, making it possible for players all over the world to go somewhere to communicate with other fellow steelers.
Thankyou from Sydney Australia!
Archie Walpole

Congratulations

Post by Archie Walpole »

b0b,
A hearty and strong US NAVY Bravo Zulu!

Thanks for all of your sustained efforts in keeping this Forum viable.

Best always,
Arch W
Don Aycock

Post by Don Aycock »

Enjoy the retirement, but don't be a stranger to these pages. You honored all of us with this site and helped us realize there were a bunch of crazies out there just like us! Thanks.
Jim Arnold

Happy retirement

Post by Jim Arnold »

All the best to you on your retirement. Your effort and dedication to the SGF are much appreciated. I learn something new everyday. You'll be missed but, we all wish you happiness and an adventure filled future.
Jim.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

Bob thank you so much for your work on the forum. It truly is the best place on the internet and I for one would not be playing steel guitar if it was not for the forum. Have a wonderful retirement and thank you so much for bringing us all together ❤️
Karen :)
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

b0b, May the Lord richly bless you! Only God knows the Joy, Knowledge and good times you have provided to all of us here om the SGF. HEB 6:10
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

b0b - THANK YOU for your efforts with this site. I contend that the SGF has done more for steel guitar than nearly anything else in existence.

I have been a SGF member since 5 Aug 1998. Nearly 25 years! Before that, I was a part of your steel guitar discussion group on America On Line (AOL).

Enjoy your retirement and please know how fortunate we all are to have been a part pf your journey.

Tim
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Daniel Baston

Post by Daniel Baston »

Thank you BoB! I am a somewhat recent member, I joined in 2017. I have spent many joyful hours pouring over all of the wonderful information that is only a search away. In addition to being a vibrant community, as many have pointed out, the Steel Guitar Forum is a massive archive of valuable information. Your vision and management of this resource is quite remarkable. It sounds like the forum is still in very good hands.

Enjoy your next chapter, you can feel proud of your immeasurable contribution to the worldwide steel guitar community. I will say once again thank you BoB!

Dan
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

Thank-you Bob

I would've been stuffed without you and the Forum

enjoy some extra free time!
David LeBlanc

Post by David LeBlanc »

Thank-you bOb !!! For people like me who live in the middle of nowhere , the creation and upkeep of this site has been priceless. Forever grateful .
Dave
Gord Cole

Post by Gord Cole »

Thank you b0b for the Forum and its wonderful cast of characters who have kept me inspired to plug away at this thing for so many years!
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

I'd like to add my sincere thanks to you, Bob. The forum has meant so much to me. And thanks to your family and the moderators as well.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Thanks for all the years of your hard work and level-headedness! It won't be quite the same without you, but I hope to still see you around!
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Wayne Drummond

Your Retirement

Post by Wayne Drummond »

Congratulations and all best wishes. Your work has made my life much more interesting and wonderful over many years. I am grateful for your efforts and stellar results. Words are inadequate but I wish you the joy and peace you have given all of us.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

b0b,
Thank you for everything you've done for the steel guitar community. Your contribution is on the level of Scotty, Tom Bradshaw & Jeff Newman.
Enjoy your retirement.
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

Bob, thanks for the enjoyment you have brought us steel players.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

You're the BEST! b0b, Just wondering, how do you retire from steel guitar? 8)
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

Congratulations on your retirement, b0b! I haven't been on the forum lately as much as I used to be, but you know I've been here since the very beginning, and connected with you even before, on AOL and Usenet back in the early 90's. I think it would be hard for those steel players who weren't online back then to fully appreciate what a huge role this forum played in those early days to advance the awareness of the steel guitar, and to get players connected with other, which continues to the present day. You made a lot happen, and you can look back with pride on your accomplishments.

Thanks, and Good luck with whatever comes next.
Ashley D\'Silva

Bob..

Post by Ashley D\'Silva »

From the age of about 10 years I have been a deeply devoted country fan. Because of this I had begun to love the beautiful sound of the PSG. When I got the internet, I found this forum that you Bob, have so honestly maintained and encouraged. Having become a member, I, very soon after, decided to buy and learn my first PSG. This was only because of the continued generosity of all you wonderful members that Bob has continued to support.
Thanks so much for encouraging that little bit of hope in my soul.

God Bless and Safe dear Man.

Ashley D'Silva
From Perth. Australia
Fish

Post by Fish »

Congratulations on your retirement!

What a brilliant idea you had to bring our community together on The Steel Guitar Forum for conversation, debate, education, and some wild food fights (who will ever forget the seemingly endless Jerry Garcia & Robert Randolph threads?).

I want to thank you for your devotion to our community and to our instrument. I can only imagine how many times you had to moderate the Forum when you would rather have been doing something else. I appreciate the many personal sacrifices you made in order to keep the Forum alive.

Also, I can honestly say I would NEVER have connected with Buddy Emmons about working together on his book without the help of the Steel Guitar Forum. Because of a post he wrote in March 2010 regarding Ray Price, I contacted him off-line and began a dialogue that ultimately lead to our collaboration. Writing the book was never about money; it was about sharing his extraordinary story with the world. Mr. Emmons led me down a path of self-discovery as he answered my many questions. Once he opened up, he shared with me things I would otherwise NEVER have known about our friendship. It was a cathartic experience for me, and I have you and Steel Guitar Forum to thank for helping bringing it all together.

I hope you find yourself on a quiet beach somewhere with your feet up and an exotic adult beverage in your hand. I wish you lots of fun and happiness!

Thanks always,

Steve Fishell