Stan Hitchcock has Passed

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bill Napier

Stan Hitchcock has Passed

Post by Bill Napier »

Just saw the bad news on FB. Not a steel player, but a real part of country music for decades.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

He was a Great Guy and singer. Stan loved the Steel Guitar and used it quite a bit. Curly Chalker and others played for him. My long time friend Mike McGee worked in Stan's Show Bands. Stan Hitchcock was from a small town in Southwest Missouri named Pleasant Hope. His version of the song "The Shadow of Your Smile" which featured Curly Chalker was exceptional. RIP Stan Hitchcock
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Remember “The Stan Hitchcock Show” very well back in the ‘60’s on Channel 5 in Ft. Smith….always enjoyed his show. RIP Stan….
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Watched his tv show many times. I still have a vinyl LP with his version of Shadow of your smile. Curly Chalker turned my head with his steel on that and many others. Stan was a fine singer and real country artist. RIP Stan Hitchcock.
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

I enjoyed watching his shows. They were top notch with some of the best pickers. Prayers for his friends and family.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

I too watched Stan's TV Show out of Ft.Smith, Ark, Chanel 5, KWHN. A very good show at that time. Stan was a Great Vocalist.
And his song "The Shadow of Your Smile" was a great song. RIP Stan, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

Yes I remember the Stan Hitchcock show. And old friend, BOBBY SEYMOUR,
also played steel guitar on his shows. Great shows.
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

Stan was a great singer an person, he was very popular around my part of Mo, many of my friends played for him an they all said he was a great guy. He wrote a lot of articles from his front porch on Facebook I will miss him an his stories.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I'm truly sorry to hear of Stan's passing. Though he's been pretty much "off the radar" for decades, his powerful and emotional voice will live on in his recordings. I had the pleasure many years ago of my band backing him on a couple of shows, and he was a warm and gracious personality.

Rest easy, Stan.
Bruce Zumsteg

Post by Bruce Zumsteg »

Stan was a great singer. I saw him perform several times at Scotty's early shows, before the larger S.G. Conventions.
This picture taken in 1971, with Curly and his trio: Buck Evans on bass and 'little'Jimmy Stewart on drums.
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

Great picture, Bruce! I worked for Stan for 3 years starting in 1977. He was a dear friend to me from that point forward. Thank you for so many great memories. Rest in peace, and save a seat for me in Heaven's music room. I'll see you again down the road a bit.