Time for me to retire.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

b0b, thanks for giving us a place to gather, learn, and enjoy. The wealth of knowledge contained here and the ease by which someone can find what they need is irreplaceable. Best wishes for your retirement.
Nigel Mullen

Post by Nigel Mullen »

Thanks B0b for the Steel Guitar Forum. I've been a member for a number of years and it has been a major blessing to me. All the best in your retirement. NM
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Thank you B0B for all the hard work you've put in for all of us to enjoy. Happy retirement.

Tony
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Thanks for starting the Steel Forum. It's been a wealth of information and means of selling, buying guitars and gear. I joined in 1998, so I must have been here near its beginning. I hope it continues. We've all been a family.
Now you can relax and enjoy retirement. Keep pickin'!!
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Thank you so much, b0b. Though I've mostly been a lurker, starting to learn this instrument by joining this incredible source of information was such a gift. I've met so many great people over the years and some have become friends. I'll be forever grateful for this.

Also, you have guided this forum in an examplary way. I remember how heated it could get back in the off-topic days and I've learned a great deal on how to moderate a forum through you. You've always been someone that I have looked up to. I wish you a happy retirement.
'78 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

bOb, words can't express my gratitude to you for creating this wonderful forum! I'm sure every steel guitar player who is a member feels the same way. Best wishes to you on all of your future endeavors.
Thornton Lewis

Post by Thornton Lewis »

I come late to this thread, but would like to add my thanks and best wishes. The forum helped me decide to take the leap into playing. I bought both my steels here and sold one. I learned how to play them, how to fix them (a little,) and am looking forward to learning how to tune them once we figure that out. None of it would have happened without your hard work. Thanks so much.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Bob, thank you so much for starting this great Forum. I wish it had been around when I started learning steel in 1973. It has been a tremendous asset to all of us in the steel guitar community for learning, sharing information, acquiring gear, meeting other players and so much more. Enjoy your retirement, and thanks for keeping the Forum active after your retirement.
Russ Blake

Post by Russ Blake »

Thank you for everything, b0b. You done good!! Wishing you all the best.
Michael Dene

Post by Michael Dene »

Thank you Bob for all you have done,not only for me personally, but for all of us in the steel guitar community, and the steel guitar itself.
You'll be missed!
Michael
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Thanks for your service to a great community,b0b! I hope you get a lot of time to play some steel guitar and do some other fun things!
Paul Awalt

Bob's Retirement

Post by Paul Awalt »

I want to nominate Bob for the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame". Thanks for the memories. .
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Wow! I just now saw this post.

b0b, I concur with the most heartfelt sentiments expressed by this forum’s members. Through all my years, there have been a small number of events that have truly lead to my enjoyment playing steel guitar. Your forum ranks very high among those events. Thank you for your gift of this amazing forum.

May your retirement bring you great joy and comfort. Many blessings to you and your family, and…

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Raybob Bowman

Re: Bob's Retirement

Post by Raybob Bowman »

Paul Awalt wrote:I want to nominate Bob for the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame". Thanks for the memories. .
I second that! ;)
Sierra U12 4+5 / 1933 Dobro / homemade Tele B-bender
Fred Treece

Re: Bob's Retirement

Post by Fred Treece »

Raybob Bowman wrote:
Paul Awalt wrote:I want to nominate Bob for the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame". Thanks for the memories. .
I second that! ;)
That’s at least 3 so far. Keep it going!
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Thankyou Bob for all you have done for steel guitar . In a steel guitar backwater like Melbourne Australia you gave us a way to connect with the steel guitar world . The help I have received from steelguitarforum has been immeasurable !
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Thank you for everything, b0b, and please take care!!
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

Bob

Many thanks for doing this for the past couple of decades. I remember when I first saw the forum , after dialing up on AOL.
The steel community has been so fortunate to have had this resource.

Thank you again and Godspeed on your future endeavors!

bruce
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

Thank You Bob! The forum is obviously so important to so many people. You’ve done a great thing and deserve a rest. Abe
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Tim Walker

Post by Tim Walker »

Thanks Bob! Coming from the UK where there was very little access to instruction, I spent hundreds of hours devouring old threads - you provided an invaluable resource for us all. I hope you enjoy your well-deserved retirement!
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Thank you b0b! Seeing and hearing a steel piqued my curiosity, but I never would have actually begun playing one if it had not been for this forum. Your efforts have not only supported those who were already steel players, but have brought forth many, many more who have been moved to take up the instrument. Well done!
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Not only for the American steel-player but also for us European players the Forum is a wealth of information, so thank you for that vital role you played in making that available to us.

By sharing your individual search for your own copedant you helped me personally by putting me on the D6th trail. It let me look at BE last C6th copedant and combine it with your proposals to my personal setup.
As a result I not think that a fully loaded S-12 with a D13 tuning is the road to follow, but a more simpler S-10 D6th chromatic hybrid tuning is a road for many new players. And you suggested a few examples that in my opinion did not get the attention they deserved. You knew what you were doing, You came from a D-12 10/10 Williams down to an S-10 6/5.

I saw it when Maurice Anderson in my living room played his S-12 universal without pedals attached and I wondered why on earth I bought a D-10 from him. It is not in the number of pedals or strings, it is in the knowledge of were the notes are that you want to play. You humbly showed that way again and inspired me again, for that I thank you.
Lee Gillespie

The best

Post by Lee Gillespie »

Just read about the retirement... Congrats...Time to enjoy life. I think I've been with you for about 20 or more enjoyable years. I thought about hanging up the steel that I've been pickin since I was 15 years old....BUT Naaaaa. Its what keeps me yourng ... Will be 92 in July...Again Thanks for your dream of the SGF. Lee
Tom Vollmer

Bob Enjoy Retirement

Post by Tom Vollmer »

Bob Can not express all yuo have done betweem helping us Old Timers rehash memory stories all the way thru to helping New Comers all to the advancement of Steel Guitar Enjoy Retiring God Bless.
TV
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Many thanks, B0b, for all your work maintaining the forum, and your excellent moderating skills and judgement. You will be missed. Enjoy your retirement.