Time for me to retire.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Heffner

Thanks

Post by Bruce Heffner »

bOb, thanks for brining the steel guitar world close together and extending the life of the instrument

Bruce
Bruce from Arizona these days
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

I’ve already replied to this thread, but came back to say -

Thanks b0b, you literally changed my life.
Tom Cooper

Retirement

Post by Tom Cooper »

Congratulations Bob! Thanks for the wonderful years of service! It has helped me immeasurably. Cheers! TC
Jerry Horner

Post by Jerry Horner »

The best of the best to you Bob in your retirement. You certainly deserve it.

Jerry
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

This forum is usually the first and last place I go most days. Aside from all the information you've brought to our fingertips and the camaraderie we have here it's also been a dependable and entertaining refuge from the rest of the world. bOb I can't thank you enough! Have a wonderful retirement.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

b0b, all I can say is Thank You! The world you have opened to so many is something that no other musical instrument has. It is casual, yet we have access to the greatest in the world. We got to meet our hero's and have been accepted into their world. Not many have accomplished what you have. Have a long and happy retirement Sir. You have earned it. Thank you!
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thanks b0b for all you've done and do. It has been a pleasure to be a part this great forum for going on 18 years!

All the best
Russ
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

Bob - thanks for all you've done to make the Steel Guitar Forum a great community for so many people. You've made a positive difference in our lives.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

bOb,

Thanks for all you've done for the steel guitar community, and for me personally. I learned many things here, met many fine pickers, and was able to promote my CDs and Discography. It is enjoyable to read everyone's posts and a thrill to read posts by some of my heroes.

There are a few constants in the steel guitar world. One, that Jeff Newman was a great guy and teacher. Two that Buddy Emmons was the best and that Paul Franklin has been the heir apparent. Three, is that the Steel Guitar Forum has been a blessing for us all.

Thank you and I'm sure you'll be chiming in from time to time.

Joe
Mike Polansky

Post by Mike Polansky »

b0b,

I'm newer here than most, but in the last year this forum has made learning this weird instrument possible. Thanks for making this available to everyone and for creating this store of knowledge. I'm sure people will continue learning about all aspects of steel guitar through this forum for decades to come.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Best wishes,and thank you for everything you have done for the steel guitarists.
Daniel Dickie

Post by Daniel Dickie »

Wow that's big news!
Happy retirement bOb! Thanks for setting up such a great site for all the steelies.
I hope that this site continues for ever.
I think people will still be talking about bOb in a century.
You should receive a special award for all you have done.
This site is probably the greatest invention after the development of the pedal steel guitar.
It keeps us all together
Best wishes to you

Kind Regards
Dan
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

b0b... Congratulations on your retirement, one which is most deserved. Also, thanks for your vision and hard work in making this forum a reality and for making it work.

I'm not a social-media guy. Thanks to this forum however, I've been able to re-connect with many folks and friends I met out on the road back in the day. Some going back about 50 yrs..!! Very cool. The SGF has been an incredible resource for steel guitarists of all ages and experience.

Again, thank you. Enjoy your retirement !!!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thank you Bob! I look at the forum everyday! Wishing you the best possible retirement, and since we’re practically neighbors, I hope to bump into you sometime, and don’t hesitate to give me a shout if you should need anything!

Cheers
Dave
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Thank you B0B. I've known Bob since the mid 1970s through the Bay Area steel guitar club, Steel Guitar West. He has always been about promoting and helping the steel guitar community. We all know the iconic players of our instrument, but there are the behind the scenes players/contributors that had, in my opinion, equal impacts on our community. People like Scotty with the International Steel Guitar Convention, Tom Bradshaw with his ventures with the record club, magazine, mail Order sales, promoting big name steel guitar shows in Northern California, carrying on the Webb Amplifier. And then there is Bob. I feel Bob has contributed as much as anyone in our steel guitar world to unify players from all over the world. I am forever blessed by his friendship over the years.

I would hate to see the Steel Guitar Forum come to an end. Bob, enjoy your retirement.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Best wishes,and thank you for everything you have done for steel guitarists.
In my opinion you are as important to the culture of this instrument as the biggest name players and builders have been.
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

I have been so busy last week I have not been on the steel forum. I just saw this post.
I, like a some others bought my 1st home computer & joined this great forum in 1998.
I have learned so much about the steel guitar & the players & it has been priceless to me.
I have made many friends because of this forum.
Thanks so much for starting and maintaining this forum & for all your hard work & dedication to this cause.
Enjoy your retirement!
THANKS!!! Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

Bob,

Thank you for the many years of dedication to the steel guitar community. Your forum has been the greatest educational resource available to the many players world wide. Best of wishes to you and your family.

Robert Parent
Samuel Rogers

thanks!

Post by Samuel Rogers »

thanks for everything b0b! good luck with retirement!
Eric Dahlhoff

Happy Trails!!!

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Hey b0b,
Like many others have said, if it wasn't for the Steel Guitar Forum I would not have learned to play. I started 13 years ago in Jan 2010 and having this resource made it possible. There's no way I would have had as much fun and adventure, and met cool people without this place. And to imagine that influence multiplied over the thousands of SGF members... Wow! :D
Thanks for everything & enjoy retirement. I hope to see you sometime.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Scott Baumann

Post by Scott Baumann »

Thank you b0b for everything you have done!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Wow....I have been here ever sense it was a AOL (I think) chat board.
I cannot tell you how much I have learned, how many forumites I met all over world touring, equipment troubleshooting, music reviews, tutorials...on and on.
Really appreciate everything you have done b0b...you deserve a break for sure
james king

Post by james king »

Bob, I want to add my thanks for this wonderful forum. I check it almost every day. I have learned so much from it, :D
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

What a brilliant idea to start the Forum. Watching it go International has been awesome. Having all that info at our fingertips is just great. Thanks for all you've done. Enjoy your retirement. Steve Catt
Rob Segal

Thank You B0b

Post by Rob Segal »

Thank you Bob, most sincerely. Your vision, expertise, judgement, even-keel, friendliness, commitment, and more, gave a daily lift, over decades, to our community's mutual passion and quest - steel guitar. It has been crucial!

Rob Segal
Rob Segal