Locking Tuners for GFI Expo X-1

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Hensley

Locking Tuners for GFI Expo X-1

Post by Joe Hensley »

Figured I'd jump in on the tuning key posts and ask a question as well since Bob @ GFI didn't have a recommendation.

I want to put looking tuners on my GFI Expo X-1....are there any direct replacements for the stock Grovers? (Sperzel, Grover, Schaller etc..., no drilling or other modificationrequired) Thanks!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There have been several forum threads about this. I didn't follow them close but I got the impression they weren't for Pedal Steel.

I didn't like the small knobs on the Grovers and the reason I now have a Keyless.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

If you go with guitar one's, you will need to buy '3 a side type' ala les paul for orientation purposes, then buy 2 sets and have 2 spare tuning keys, I doubt they will drop right in and i'll bet they are too small, but you never know, i'd go their website and look up size specs.
Last edited by Larry Bressington on 3 Jan 2023 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A.K.A Chappy.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I would say don't do it.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If the keys are moving to easy on the guitar, And it is getting bumped out of tune. The little screw in the turning button controls the tightness of the key action. This screw allows adjusting the tension on the key.
Turn clockwise to tighten, Counter clockwise to loosen.
Joe Hensley

Post by Joe Hensley »

Thanks all. I like them on my regular guitars and figured it would make thinks a bit easier on my big fingers when I restring the PSG.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Remove one of the existing ones and measure it carefully with calipers. Then log in at Stewmac, Allparts etc. and compare to their detailed drawings of each type on sale. Shouldn't be too difficult to find out if there is a direct locking replacement available.

Just make sure the locking mechanism will work on a steel keyhead. I suppose the Schaller/Sperzel variety would be difficult to get good enough grip on – not much room to get your fingers around the locking knobs. As far as locking Grovers go, I haven't tried any of them.
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

I have not tested it but I would be very surprised if the typical guitar locking tuner Sperzel or similar where there is less than one turn of string wrap on the peg would work for strings like the .011 G#, with the high tension and also the possibility of the sharp edge from the peg hole being where the string leaves the peg. Typical advice is wind plenty of wraps on the G# and make sure you are past the peg hole so the string leaves smoothly for the normal tuners.

It is a dim memory from maybe 20 years ago on the forum but I think possibly John Fabian of Carter might have posted on the forum about trying locking tuners.

For an opposing data point I can can say the locking Sperzels work fine on a Rukavina lap steel I own.

BTW I also like them on 6 strings.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Jack Wilson

locking tuners

Post by Jack Wilson »

Years ago I put locking Sperzel tuners on an Excel pedal steel. Every time I pushed the pedals the third string broke. Put the original tuners back on.