Time for me to retire.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Can't really find the words, b0b, for all of this. Beyond all that the SGF has affected and contributed to my life, I have huge respect for you personally.
I hope so much that you are well.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Yes bOb,

Thanks for all the years of hard work and the foresite to create such a great place, I've met or conversed with so many people here and many who have gone that I would never been able to without this Forum.

It was your vision and toil that made this happen for so many others as well as myself.

Enjoy your retirement, it's well desearved and don't forget to pop in occationally!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Thanks Bob for starting this whole thing , and keeping it going for all those years . Was a bit like the wild west in the early years , but became a very civil place , largely due to your hand as moderator . Pretty much been coming here daily since '97 , learned so , so much about so many things . The SGF is the greatest!
Jerry
Jeremy Reeves

Post by Jeremy Reeves »

your work really helped me get started on pedal steel. Thank you!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

B0b, I can’t think of anyone who plays steel guitar who has not heard of or benefited from the SGF. Worldwide, people know and appreciate what you created. Thanks a million, and enjoy your retirement. It’s highly underrated!
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Bob,

Congratulations on retirement! I want to thank you so much for all you have done for the steel guitar community. Now go and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

Regards, Norman Evans
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

While this comes as a bit of a shock, I can't say I'm surprised. How you've shouldered all the headaches, administered the occasional slap-on-the-wrist and dealt with the day-to-day issues that such a venture must generate, I can barely imagine.

You've created a community for us to exchange ideas and to bond. I regard hundreds of members whom I've never met almost as old friends. Indeed, some have, in fact, become old friends. This is my 23rd year on the SGF and the time seems to have flown by.

I'm sometimes guilty of taking this resource for granted but I soon remind myself of the change you've brought about in what otherwise might be a scattered unconnected sub-culture.

Thank you, too, for all your help on my upcoming venture into the world of 12 string D13. Your perceptive brain figured out some things that might have eluded me.

My best wishes for your happiness and health for 2023 and beyond. It goes without saying that the place just won't be the same without you at the helm.

Kindest regards,

Roger Rettig
Last edited by Roger Rettig on 1 Jan 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

Thank you so much for all you've done. I wish you a wonderful retirement.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

Amazing. You've single handedly created THE steel guitar reference center and source for all things steel known around the world. Retire well! Maybe now you can start using an o instead of a 0 since you're a regular citizen now!
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

The steel guitar community owes you big time and unfortunately can never repay what you've done to further the promotion and advancement of the instrument. Thanks and happy steelin'.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Steven Cummings

Post by Steven Cummings »

A very big thank you for what I've gleaned from your site.
All the best to ya!

Hoping to see the site continue on.
Lookin' on the sunny side....
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

B0b,
I can’t think of anything that has been more influential to steel Guitar than your forum. You need to be in the steel guitar Hall of Fame!!!
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

Thank you, b0b, for creating and maintaining this wonderful international community!
You have enriched the lives of thousands of people through your passion for music, and steel guitar in particular.
Your focus, savvy guidance, humour and compassion have kept us on the right track along the way.
Enjoy your retirement, and thank you once again.
Lee
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Well done sir. Very well done indeed. Thank you.
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

Thank you b0b! What a legacy you have created for all steel players. Congratulations on your retirement.

Jonathan
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Re; b0b and the Hall of Fame...

I don't think I'm imagining this but, on one of my two visits to the ISGC, I recall him getting recognized for his work and receiving a plaque of some sort. Maybe a 'special award'?

This may have been in the very early 2000s.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

Congratulations! And thanks for all that you've done creating and managing this great resource. Best of luck in your retirement.
Mark Peters

Post by Mark Peters »

Congratulations, b0b. And many, many thanks.

Mark
Mike DiAlesandro

Congratulations

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

I can not thank you enough for this wonderful community of steel "nuts" you have assembled and monitored all of these years.

Happy Retirement bOb, and keep on picking! 😁

Mike D
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

Back in the days when the Forum was young, and I didn`t own a computer. I was told, "You`re missing out on a lot". Thank you B0b for being responsible for my first computer.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Understanding tinged with sadness.

Let me add my gratitude for all of the work (and pain) involved in maintaining one of the most informative and civilized outposts on the Internet.

You "done good"!

Best wishes as always for whatever you have planned.

hp
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

bOb,
I am a recent member of this community BUT I have to extend my gratitude to you for starting SGF. If it wasn't for you and this community of FRIENDS I would not be struggeling through the learning process.
Because of your efforts and dedication I have learned more about the mechanical repairs and playing methods than anywhere else.
You started a GREAT group of EXPERTS and deserve all the accolades you are receiving.
Again, thank you for starting this forum and good luck in your future endevors. Keep on Steelin

Sam
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I don't know what I would have done without this forum. Thank you, b0b. Congratulations!
Peter Huggins

Post by Peter Huggins »

Happy New Year bOb.
More people will be using this resource that you have created than you can ever know. It will continue to be the primary source for all those who want or need the invaluable information that can only be found here. My best to you in all of your future endeavors.

Warmest regards, Peter Huggins (known in many circles as the Guitarmaniax)
A big THANKS to all my friends, here and everywhere !
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

It has been a pleasure and Blessing to get to work with you b0b, from the start. It has brought the world together in so many ways. Thank you for everything you are. Love ya forever.
Ricky Davis "Moderator"
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com