Time for me to retire.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Time for me to retire.

Post by b0b »

The Steel Guitar Forum has been online for 25 years now. It was touch and go for a while, but it finally stabilized around the turn of the century. Many of you have been here from the beginning, and I'm forever grateful that you stuck around. You all turned an idea into a community.

That said, it's time for me to hang up my hat. We have a study group working on a new business model (my preference is a non-profit organization). In the meantime, my family is going to take over the daily chores:

Shoshanah Marohn (youngest daughter) will be handling new memberships and donations.

Brian Marohn (her husband) is going to handle the Linux server administration.

Lori Smith (oldest daughter) will be running the forum store. The store's email address is steelguitarshopper@gmail.com

Admins Dave Mudgett and Brad Bechtel will be handling support questions. Don't email me! :mrgreen:

It's been the joy of my life serving you all. I'll still be around now and then, just not every day. Take care, stay well, and keep on steelin'.
😎
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

b0b, I was thinking about this day recently. I have to say, joining this forum has been one of the single biggest life-changing events in my musical life. I want to thank you for your friendship, leadership, civility and for having the foresight to start this in the first place. You are going to be sorely missed on a day-to-day basis, but I am sure your family knows what the Steel Guitar Forum means to you. And I want you to know what it means to me too.

If there is anything I can do to help, please keep me in mind. I wish you all the best.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

b0b, I just wanted to say thanks for everything you have done. I wasn't here at the beginning, I think I joined in 2000, but I have spent a lot of time here and have gained a lot from your effort. Wishing you a long and happy retirement! Thanks again!

Bill
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Way to go, b0b! I'm so happy for you.

You have created a huge, worldwide family.

Speaking of family, I'm glad you have family members who will continue the legacy you created.

~Lee
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

b0b we all owe you a debt of gratitude for this community and knowledge center... I've certainly benefited from my association with your Forum.

Blessings during your retirement.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I don’t know what l would do without SGF. Thanks b0b!!!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

What you have built here Bob has been nothing short of a Godsend in my quest to learn steel guitar. I've never as much as seen a pedal steel guitarist live or had access to personal lessons. The treasure trove of information here on the forum is priceless.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Thanks for all you’ve done Bob! Enjoy your well deserved retirement.
Dale
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Hey b0b -

Congrats on the retirement. I can only echo the comments already posted here: you and SGF have had a profoundly positive affect on my life - I can’t thank you enough. You have left a mark.

PS If you’re ever in the neighborhood, I’ll buy you a beer.
Last edited by Frank Freniere on 1 Jan 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Mike Neer wrote: joining this forum has been one of the single biggest life-changing events in my musical life. I want to thank you for your friendship, leadership, civility and for having the foresight to start this in the first place.
Mike said it perfectly, this forum has had a large impact on thousands of people worldwide (me included), and the collected knowledge here that can transmit forward to future players is a great legacy!

Thanks b0b.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

A very heart felt Thank You............
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

b0b, I first heard about the forum in ‘Jackson Hole’ Wyoming 2001 ish…I believe I joined a few years later, I can’t thank you enough for this wonderful cyber connection to a worldwide connection to steel players that have become a brotherhood.
You always ran the forum with top shelf policies, allowing legitimate debates and opinions breath for the sake of growth of the steel guitar, and only stepping in when things got out of control. The layout of the forum has always been top shelf and a complete pleasure to navigate, and enjoy banter and friendships of all countries and cultures. Enjoy your retirement bOb, blessings my good friend! 😊
A.K.A Chappy.
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Thanks bOb! You've gone above and beyond with this whole endeavor! Enjoy 'retirement'! :D
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Thanks for everything b0b!
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

You have been so successful in your creation and management of the steel guitar forum. I hope you enjoy your retirement. If the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame ever gets revived, I hope you are inducted as a member. You've done more than anyone in the world to bring people together to discuss steel guitar.

RC
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

wOW bOb! I’m an old guy who’s a new guy here. The community and info resource you have built is truly remarkable! I’ve learned so much and it’s such a great, respectful, civil, friendly and informative community thanks to your leadership. You can sure be proud of what you’ve accomplished, and we can’t thank you enough!!! Best wishes for the next step in your journey!
52 Fender Dual 8, Jackson Pro V, other guitars and amps. Learning pedal steel. Long time player on slide, guitar, harmonica
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

the end of an era.

thank you so much and congratulations for what you've accomplished and provided all of us. a true community.

long live b0b and SGF !!!
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Man... we'll miss you so much, Cap'n B0b!

Thanks for everything you've done over these many years. Can't even begin to say how much you've done for all of us.

I fear the internet is about to get worse.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Many kudos for a job well done !!! Your efforts have been an essential & appreciated part of the steel guitar community.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

For years I only knew two other pedal steel pickers, when I discovered the forum I also discovered dozens more pickers in my very own hood. Changed many lives, what's not to like about that? Take care and if I make it back to the left edge I will be sure to look for you.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

From one retiree to another, congratulations on a very successful venture. I remember when you came on the AOL group and promoted this.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

when i first started playing pedal steel i didn't know anyone who played one, and i had never seen one before i owned my first. i would not be playing pedal steel if it wasn't for this forum. through the years of commenting, reading, sharing, discussing and debating i have seen almost zero drama, which is remarkable in the online world.

thank you, bOb.
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Thanks for this wonderful Forum and for all I have learned here. You will be missed by us all. May you have a great retierment enjoy yourself.

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Joe Krumel

b0b retiring

Post by Joe Krumel »

Thanks for everything b0b. As for retirement. It's been 4 years for me. I highly recommend it to anyone! :D
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Thank you b0b. My life has been changed for the better because of you. Enjoy retirement.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc