Tone Bar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Harmon

Tone Bar

Post by John Harmon »

Don't know if this is the place for this but here goes. I'm trying to learn with a Dunlop 15/16 tone bar and due to age, arthritis, etc. I have a lot of trouble picking it up and moving it. Has anyone in a similar situation used a Rocky Mountain Poncha Ceramic bar and what are you're thoughts. BTW I play dobro and tried that style and the tones weren't there on my particular lap steel. Thanks for your time, John
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Most dobro players use a Stevens or Shubb bar for a reason when playing dobro. I guess you could use a Dunlop bar, but I can see where that might be a problem with your age, arthritis, etc. The bars I listed have side grooves and lend themselves to being easier to pick up and put down.
I don't think you will get the sound you are looking for with the RM bar? The one I have is pretty light.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

I have seriously arthritic fingers myself. I used shaped bars for years because I had difficulty holding onto bullet bars, particularly heavier ones like yours. My favorite was the Shubb SP2, which has a rounded nose and a Shubb GS, whose nose I rounded with a Dremel tool. I tried a couple of ceramic bars, including a Rocky Mountain bar. The only problem I had with them was a gritty feel/sound that no one listening would ever notice, but I found annoying. I eventually made the transition to bullet bars, but still don't use one with a metallic surface. I have a couple of glass bars and a couple of Todd Clinesmith's polymer bars that I really like. They're much easier to get a grip on.
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Thanks for the reply's. I didn't mention that I'm a newbie, and I really don't want to spend a ton, since I don't play very well and may never pick it up, and I also don't want 15 tone bars laying around the house either. And of course that can add up to some big bucks too. Maybe I'll get in touch with Bill about a price for one with indents on it. We'll see. John
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

I don't make any polymer bars with indents on the sides. I plan on making one similar to a Stevens in the New year. It will be, for now, just a one off for my personal use, but who knows? You can do a Google search for Stevens or Shubb tone bars, which ever one you prefer......they sell them at numerous places.

Chase I have a tone bar as you described with the gritty feel and I already passed that info along to John, so I guess I didn't buy the only one with a gritty feel. I told RM the problem I had with it and got NO REPLY...NONE.......good or bad!
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

John Harmon wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I didn't mention that I'm a newbie, and I really don't want to spend a ton, since I don't play very well and may never pick it up, and I also don't want 15 tone bars laying around the house either. And of course that can add up to some big bucks too. Maybe I'll get in touch with Bill about a price for one with indents on it. We'll see. John
Paloma Stone made the good ceramic bars I liked... not too gritty, very flat surface. He's not making them anymore that I know of. RMS makes stone bars (not ceramic, agate) that I'm using now... my hands are big so I like the longer bar he sells... and the finish is like glass. I have arthritis and feel much better with a lighter bar for lap or dobro... and I just can't hang with the Stevens bar feel (I have several of those, Scheerhorn etc)... gotta have bullet-nose and cylinder.

You don't want 15 tone bars hanging around? Most folks here have at least that many!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

I already have the rounded off dobro bar (Shubb?). Doesn't have very good tone. Maybe a stone bar would work. I'll come up with something. John
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

John,did you ever live in my old house on Mercedes Drive in Ft.lauderdale?just curious 8)
Aloha
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Tom been to Ft Lauderdale but never lived there
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Chase Brady

Post by Chase Brady »

I tried one of the Rocky Mountain stone bars. Mine is the Tin Cup Agate model. I really liked it at first, but within a few weeks it started developing small ruts that affected the tone and feel. I wrote to them about it. They said it should become burnished with time (it didn't) and also suggested I try another model (I didn't). It's usable, but annoying.
You might also consider one of Michael Hilton's powder coated bars. A little heavy to my taste, but otherwise very nice. He advertises them on this forum.
Greg Forsyth

Michael Hillman tone bars

Post by Greg Forsyth »

John,
I also have med. problems with my hands. I have a SP-2 Shubb bar which i use playing lapsteels, which is adequate.
I was curious about Michael Hillmam's podwercoated bars, and now have 3 of them, 2 of which I use on 8 and 10 strings and 1 on the 6 strings. The tone from these bars is much better than the Shubb. They are bullet bars, and 1 has 2 grooves milled into it and the 6 string has one groove. Here's a photo of it.

It's heavier than the Shubb, but the powdercoat and the groove allows a better grip than a chromed or polished bar. I imagine the center can be bored out deeper to make it lighter. The only bad about these bars is wearing out the powdercoat, which hasn't been a problem, and Michael has a return / recoat policy that is very customer friendly.

Here's a link to Michael's posting:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... &start=600
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Greg, that looks like what I want, thanks for the link. I'll check into this tomorrow. John
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

John,
Michael also makes tapered bars and smaller lap steel bar's than the one I posted.
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

Buy an original Stevens bar, which is easy to hold, don't cost a ton and last for quite a while even under extreme usage. Stevens bars were also used by players like Buck Graves in the 1950's they didn't hurt his tone. :)
John Harmon

Post by John Harmon »

Hate to resurrect this but I have to thank Greg and Michael Hillman. That tone bar is fantastic. Good tone and I can hold it very well. Mike is great to deal with also, very fast service and pleasant. Thanks again guys. John
Miles Lang

Post by Miles Lang »

I had a similar problem when my arthritis started to set in. Man, this getting old thing stinks!

I went from a Dunlop bar to a much lighter Ezzee Slide from our buddy Basil, and it was much more manageable. Now I can’t stand the sound of the steel bar in favor of the Ezzee Slide.
Santo Fan Club - from the island of Coney to the sands of Rockaway

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time