Milkman...

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Sparks

Milkman...

Post by Michael Sparks »

Was reluctant about writing this, but I can't help myself. Like probably most players, I've been through an almost embarrassing inventory of amps over the years, starting with full weight Twin Fender Reverbs, moving on to a number of Peavy models, into Telonics, Quilters and Fender Twin Reverb Tonemasters (to name to the figurative heavy-weights). I think those are ALL great amps... but I always loved the sound of a steel though a tube amp - the color, depth and clarity at the same time, couldn't be matched by a solid state amp - at least in my ears.

A fellow steel player mentioned Milkman to me and I thought I'd check it out. After some poking around, I ordered a 40W Pedal Steel Mini and continued playing through (at the time) a Fender Twin Tonemaster - which sounded and felt like 98% of the tone and 40% of the weight of the old tube Twin Reverb- which to me was the Gold Standard for tone...

The Milkman's take a while and while waiting for the Mini that I had ordered, I stumbled across a used (virtually new) Mini and grabbed it. It was a Mini with a 15-inch, which I think may be non-standard.

It sounded great - beat the Tonemaster (and all the other ridiculous inventory of amps I had accumulated at the house...) and that became the go-to amp for every gig. Reached out to Milkman and changed to order from Mini to the larger 85W pedal steel amp.

Well, the 85W - with 2 x 12 Jupiter ceramics, got delivered and it's easily the best sounding amp I've ever played through. Hands down.

Played outdoor gig last Saturday (hey - it's Houston) - had the amp volume set on 1 3/4 and was getting scowls from the sound company all night.
Regards, Mike "Web" Sparks

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Michael, my story has many similarities to yours. My collection of amps has grown out of proportion. The Tonemaster Twin is ok but no match to my tube Twins. Likewise the Telonics and Quilter, Peavey and so on. At this point I can't justify another Holy Grail amp, though there's a few I would love to try. The P2P from Mike Skaggs and the Milkman are on my list. Give it time and see if you feel the same a year from now.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

That same thing happened to me when Tim first started building milkman amps. It’s been about 10 years and I haven’t found any amps that suit me better. I sold off my stable of vintage fenders along with all my other amps and haven’t missed any of them at all.

My work horse amp for club gigs is a half and half with a milkman neo 12” along with one of his “the amp 100s”

I have a creamer head into a single 12 cab with a JBL D120f that is my main recording amp.

Also a mini combo with a JBL D120f.

I also have a tube reverb/tremolo head that I have been using quite a bit as an insert while mixing. That thing is amazing !

They don’t suit everybody but they work for me.
Bob
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

I've been using Milkman amps since 2011. I've got a Mini with 12" Jupiter ceramic, Mini with 15" Telonics and The Amp 100 used with a 12" 16 OHM Jupiter ceramic. I've settled on the Amp at this point for live and studio because of weight primarily(2.5 lb amp and 20 lb cab with speaker). They're all great amps!
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Fred Rogan

Post by Fred Rogan »

I have a Milkman The Amp 100 and a Milkman The Amp Combo. I also have a PF 400 15" in a small cab and one in a larger cab. I can use the The Amp 100 with either cab (depending on venue and whether I need/want the added lows the larger cab gives) or I can use the The Amp Combo as a stand alone (50 watts) or add one of the 8 ohm PF 400s as an extension speaker which make the The Amp Combo a 100 watt amp. These beat all the other amps I have gone through and I've been playing through these for over a year now. Using the Combo with an extension cab is an awesome setup.
Sometimes the EQ on these amps doesn't float my boat and in in those instances I add my MXR 10 band EQ and I'm back in tone heaven.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
John Dowden

Post by John Dowden »

One day I'm going to get my hands on Tim's 85 watt monster. I've been playing through the Mini since 2013. Crazy its been almost 10 years. I've also got a half and half but the Mini is still my favorite amp I've ever played through.

John
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I've had both the Mini and the Pedal Steel Amp...the big boy is beautiful, and heavy. I ended up liking the Mini because on solos I could actually drive the final amp into saturation, which is a lovely sustain...on the big boy that would have peeled the paint off the walls...now I'm using a The Amp...when I'm not using my Baggs DI to go right into the PA...and a Dumble-type pedal for violin-like saturation...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Yes I also concur. I've got an 85w head as well as an 85w combo. With the Jupiter it came with it has a very special sound. And it is heavy and WAY more power than you'll ever need.

I'm set on a 100w The Amp, but can't find it anywhere currently.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I really think that The Amp model is more about whether you want the boost (100w) or the tremolo (50w) pedal in it....the power is really the same. double the power is barely audible...a touch more headroom in the 100w...ask Tim Marcus and he'll tell you...
And in fact, the 50 watt amp is a 100 watt amp - solid state amp power is variable with the impedance of the speakers...
I have two speaker cabs...if I need more, I just bring both, and get 100 watts.
I have a 10" Jupiter in a small cab and a 12" Jupiter in a medium cab...use whichever, or both...
Mostly if I need more I just mic it to the PA (if I really want the speaker tone) or simply run the XLR out to the PA (it even has a cabinet simulator switch on the back), and use The Amp's speaker more as a monitor. Lots of options...
If you really need all the clean power you can get, the 100 might make sense, but it is worth thinking about if it really is needed.
I got a 50 before the 100s came out, and have no issues..and if you get a 50 and want to keep looking for a 100, go right ahead, it would be small dollars to buy the 100 and sell the 50 later...
I wonder why there aren't 100s available? You might call Tim Marcus (actually, email works better with him) about that also..he might have one laying around the shop that he'll sell...or at least he'd know where the stock is...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck