Bought a Jubilee for Christmas...can anyone tell about it?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Lunenfeld

Bought a Jubilee for Christmas...can anyone tell about it?

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

I bought this off of reverb today in a Christmas stupor:

https://reverb.com/item/47623837-harmon ... 1936-brown

Can anyone tell me more about the instrument? The price was too good to say no. The pickup internals look different than others i've seen on the site.

Anyone have any opinion on the way these sound? Truth be told, I probably did not need to buy another lap steel...but...things happen.
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

To start - it wasn't sold as a Harmony, and it was't called the Jubilee. It was built by Harmony but only sold as a Supertone through Sears. It appeared in their 1936 Golden Jubilee catalog celebrating the company's 75th anniversary, but was only referenced as model 2290.

Along with the matching electric Spanish guitar, this was Harmony's first electric instrument and was replaced within a year or two by a wood-bodied model.

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

According to this website, that particular model was only made for one year, 1936. I've seen a few of them but never got to play one.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

I have one. The sound is strong and the pickup is a real early design. It also has a form fit hard case. Pretty deluxe for a Sears item.

Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Christmas Jubilee..... party on with that beauty, I want one of those someday, congrats. Oh yeah, the tuners are not stock but if they work well you're ahead.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

I have one of these. A super-cool instrument. Has a very distinct sound because the pickup is microphonic. Not sure if it was meant to be or not. I only use it for experimental stuff because I can get neat percussion sounds off the aluminum body.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database