edit

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Oct 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

OK. If you do, I would very curious as to your opinion on the tone and if it brought back all of what was missing with the 12 inch. I assume it will but I hate to spend a bunch of money and then it be something else that I sell for a loss or it sits and I get to say, yea, just wasn't what I was looking for.

Thanks for entertaining the idea of giving it a shot though, definitely appreciate it!
Ken Morgan

Post by Ken Morgan »

I’ve got the head version, and it’s positively brilliant, top channel set for 6 string bottom set for steel.

One caveat: when using the amp in dual channel mode, the available power for each side drops to 100 watts, to facilitate the preamp producing 100 watts each.
67 Shobud Blue Darling III, scads of pedals and such, more 6 strings than I got room for

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Oct 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Doug,
Thanks for doing that test/comparison and providing the report that you did. I really want to go more lightweight but it sounds like I will keep dragging around the Vegas 400 or the twin for now. There will come a day when I'm forced to lighten the load but I'm not there yet.

Andy
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Ken Morgan wrote:I’ve got the head version, and it’s positively brilliant, top channel set for 6 string bottom set for steel.

One caveat: when using the amp in dual channel mode, the available power for each side drops to 100 watts, to facilitate the preamp producing 100 watts each.
Ken,
What cabinet and speaker size are you playing through? Curious if you have the missing low end issue that Doug has noticed?

Andy
Ken Morgan

Post by Ken Morgan »

Andy,

My cabs are either a Mojolite or a Woodworx 112 with the back removed.

Speakers either a WGS ET90 or Fender Special Design Blue Label. I recently got a Black Widow 1203-8 from Jerry, which made an immediate improvement.

What I noticed was the other speakers sounded ok in quiet practice mode, but lost most low end note definition and high end clarity during gigs. The BW and actually flicking the channel switch certainly solved that.

Awaiting delivery on a Tommy Huff cab housing both the 2 space rack Quilter head and the Black Widow.

I KNEW the Peavey was a better choice for steel, but was convinced of its use in 6 string chores by a friend who’s been involved in some of the greatest recordings of all time, regardless of genre.
67 Shobud Blue Darling III, scads of pedals and such, more 6 strings than I got room for

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Oct 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Doug,
I understand. I sent Quilter some questions to try and decide how I am going to proceed. Thanks again for conducting that test, I appreciate it as without it here, I couldn't do so.

Andy
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Oct 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Yea, Pat Quilter responded to me and gave me his opinion on how best to do what I am looking to do! That is pretty awesome if you ask me, the man himself taking time to answer a question and provide some guidance.

Andy
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Wow, great customer service. And he even plays lap steel!
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 23 Dec 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

Absolutely!
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Well, I just got an email that my TT-15 with the TB 202 will be delivered the day after tomorrow.

Funny, been doing this since 1968, and tonight I'm like a teenager waiting for his first amp!

:)
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Andy Vance

Post by Andy Vance »

I found a mach3 head and combo in stock at a local music store. I took my steel over and tried it out, both the 12 inch combo and the head through a 15-inch cabinet that was on the floor.

I didn't care for either combination for my taste, so I guess I will keep lugging my heavy amp for now. If I didn't do double duty, I would try out a TB-202 but I need to have dual channels, to EQ both separately, and have both active at the same time, not through an A/B box, as I switch back and forth in the same song.

Oh well, just saved myself a bunch of money I suppose :D